Jesus' Parables for Disciples
Paintings, Portraits, and Artwork of St. John the Evangelist and Apostleby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Piero della Francesca (c. 1415-1492), St. John the Evangelist (c. 1454-1469), tempera on poplar panel (133.99 cm x 62.23 cm), The Frick Collection, New York. Panel of the Sant'Agostino altarpiece. Larger image.
Giotto Di Bonde
- St. John the Evangelist (1320-25)
- St. John the Evangelist in Patmos, detail (1320), Santa Croce, Cappella Peruzzi, Florence. Fresco.
Filippo Lippi, St. John the Evangelist (1420s), panel 43x32 cm, Princeton, New Jersey, Barbara Piasecka Johnson Collection.
Pedro Burruguette, St. John the Evangelist from the St. Thomas altarpiece.
Aidan Hart, St. John the Evangelist, Shrewsbury School
Fra Angelico, Mary and the Christ Child and Saints (1437-1446), fresco, Museo San Marco, Florence, Mary and the Christ Child surrounded by the evangelists and saints. John with forked beard to the right of the Christchild.
Alonso Cano, St. John the Evangelist with the Poisoned Cup (1636), oil on canvas, 52 x 35 cm, Musee du Louvre, Paris.
Circle of A. Rublev, St. John the Evangelist. Gospels, 1st quarter of 15th century, Gospels moscow.
Hans Memling, John the Evangelist (c. 1468), oil on panel, 71 x 30 cm, National Gallery, London
- St. John the Evangelist (1594-1604), oil on canvas, 102 x 177 cm, Museo del Prado, Madrid. Oil on leinwand.
- Apostle St. John the Evangelist (1610-14), oil on canvas, 97 x 77 cm, Museo de El Greco, Toledo
Francisco de Zurbaran, St John the Evangelist on Patmos
- Tondo of St. John the Evangelist (c. 1524), oil on Holz, 70 cm circumference. Santa Felicita, Florence. Bald, larger image. Another.
- St. John the Evangelist, detail, (1519), oil on Holz, 173 x 59, Museo della Collegiata, Empoli
Piero della Francesca (c. 1415-1492), St. John the Evangelist (c. 1454-1469), tempera on poplar panel (133.99 cm x 62.23 cm), The Frick Collection, New York. Panel of the Sant'Agostino altarpiece. Another.
Bernardo Cavallino, 'St John the Evangelist' (1641-43) oil on canvas, private collection.
Cavallino, 'Saint John the Evangelist'
Carlo Crivelli (c. 1435-c. 1495)
- St. John the Evangelist (c. 1475), Tempera on Holz, 28 x 21 cm, Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan.
- Saint John the Evangelist (c. 1470), tempera on wood panel, 31.1 x 23.5 cm, Detroit Institute of Arts.
St.John the Evangelist (12th century), fresco, St.John's Chapel, Village of Pürgg, Austria
Segna di Bonaventura, St John the Evangelist (1320s), Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
St. John the Evangelist, Chapel at Notre Dame, fresco
Peter Nicolai Arbo, The Apostle John (Norwegian painter, 1831-1892), Apostle John (1886). Earnest shaved man praying.
Andrea Mantegna, St. John the evangelist, detail of the St. Lucas altarpiece, Pinacoteca di Brera, Mailand.
Cimabue, John, detail of mosaic in Dom of Pisa, Enthroned Christ with Mary and John (1301-1302)
Correggio, John the Evangelist, fresco in the Church of St. John the Evangelist, Lünette, Szene.
Guido Reni, St. John the Evangelist (1621), Bob Jones University.
Paintings about Light
Max Hegele (1873-1945), "St. John" mosaic, Karl-Borromäus-Kirche (St. Charles Borromeo church; 1908-1911), Vienna Central Cemetery, Austria, Architect. Example of Jugenstil (Art Nouveau) architecture.
Art and Images related to John's Gospel compiled by Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D.
Christian Art and Paintings:
Abraham Art | Agnus Dei Art | Angel Art | Annunciation Art |
Celtic Stone Cross Art |
Christian Symbols and Art |
Christmas Art |
Easter Art |
Passion of Christ
by Tissot |
Hebrew-Jewish Art | Holy Week Art | Jacob | Jesus' Ministry Art | Jesus' Teaching Art |
Jesus Portraits and Art | John the Baptist
| John the Apostle
| Lamb of God Art | Last Supper Art | Madonna & Child Art |
Moses and the
Exodus | Names of God Art | OT Misc Art | Psalms Art | Palm Sunday Art | Paul Art and Paintings | Day of Pentecost Art | Peter Art and Paintings |
Prayer Art | Resurrection Art | Revelation Art |
Solomon |Thanksgiving and Pilgrims Art |
Timothy Art and Paintings
Copyright of artwork. Much, but not all, of the artwork linked to on this site is in the public domain worldwide due to the date of death of its author (if it is was published outside of the U.S. and the author has been dead for over 70 years), or due to its date of publication (if it was first made public in the U.S. before 1923), at least in the United States (see Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.), in Germany, and in many other countries.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus