Jesus' Parables for Disciples
Jesus' Parables for Disciples
Over 100 Stories, Analogies, and Figurative Sayings
A Free E-mail Bible Studyby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Ralph F. Wilson, detail of 'The Sower (after Millet)' (2023), original watercolor, 10 x 14 inches, private collection. Inspired by Jean-Francois Millet's 1850 painting.
Jesus constantly framed his teachings in figurative terms. "He did not say anything to them without using a parable." Why? Partly to veil his teachings so his enemies couldn't use them against him, and partly to make them memorable to ponder and pass on.
Indeed, capsulized in these stories and analogies, is a vast treasury of Kingdom truths designed to disciple men and women.
My goal in this study is to help form you as a follower, a disciple of Jesus, by helping you understand these same parables that Jesus used to form the first disciples -- and to help you apply them in your life today.
This study is different. Most cover 25 to 35 of the best-known parables, but exclude many others. It comes down to definitions. The essence of an English language definition of "parable" is story. But the Bible definition of Greek parabolē is much broader. It includes stories, of course, but also analogies, similitudes, and maxims of all kinds. What ties them together is that they are comparisons used to teach spiritual truths.
Jesus used more than 100 stories, metaphors, similes, and maxims to train his disciples. This series of 12 lessons is designed to explore essentially all of Jesus' stories, analogies, and figurative sayings, including three acted parables.
Each parable or analogy is placed in its context and historical setting, then mined for the spiritual truths that Jesus intended to establish in his disciples -- and in us today. Discussion questions help the student probe Jesus' teaching for their own lives. Extensive footnotes help teachers and pastors to explore each passage and key words more deeply. If you preach or teach on the parables, you'll find this a tremendous resource.
Available in paperback, PDF, and Kindle formats
I invite you on a 12-week internship with the Master as we take a deep dive into Jesus' Parables for Disciples. Sign up for the free e-mail study below.
Here's the basic structure of this 12-week e-mail Bible
Detailed Table of Contents (includes parables in each section)
- Introduction to Parables
- References and Abbreviations
- Reprint Guidelines
- Parables about God's Love
- Parables about Israel's Unbelief
- Parables about Repentance
- Parables about Final Judgment
- Parables about Readiness for Christ's Return
- Parables about Salvation
- Parables about the Nature of Christ's Kingdom
- Parables about Responding to the Kingdom
- Parables about Disciple Character
- Parables about Disciple Values
- Parables about Disciple Practices
- Parables about Caring for the Lost
- Appendix 1. Participant Handouts (free to copy for group participants)
- Appendix 2. List of Jesus' Parables, Analogies, and Sayings (115 total)
- Appendix 3. A Vocabulary for Parables and Analogies
- Appendix 4. Miscellaneous Analogies and Sayings
- Appendix 5. The Great Messianic Banquet
- Appendix 6. Slavery in Jesus' Day
Sign up today before you forget. There is no charge; it is
absolutely free. Note: This doesn't start immediately.
You'll receive your first lesson on Friday, August 25, 2023.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson on Friday, August 25, and each Saturday thereafter for 12 weeks. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.Old Testament
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus