Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Elijah: Rebuilding Yahweh's Altar
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Elijah is one tough dude! God calls him to an awesome task: to turn an entire nation back to God. Perhaps the most spectacular event in Elijah's long ministry takes place on Mount Carmel, where he has challenged the 400 prophets of Baal to a contest. He watches while they utterly fail to see fire fall on their sacrifice. The Scripture records:
"Then Elijah said to all the people, 'Come here to me.' They came to him, and he repaired the altar of the Lord, which was in ruins." (1 Kings 18:30)
Yahweh has set before Elijah a huge task, to "repair the altar of Yahweh," to repair the knowledge of the Lord and return a whole nation to their God. To turn the hearts of the fathers and the children away from Baal and towards the true God. All this in a deeply backslidden nation.
Elijah's mission field is the northern kingdom of Israel, a nation of backslidden Yahweh worshippers, now worshipping a golden calf in Bethel or Dan. Jezebel the Queen has been hunting down the prophets of Yahweh and vigorously promoting the worship of Baal. Most true believers are in hiding.
It's hard to imagine that your mission and mission field are more difficult than Elijah's. God may have placed you in a resistant community. Or in a cold, dead church that desperately needs to know the Living God! We can learn from Elijah something of what it takes to be that man, that woman in the situation in which God has placed you. To make a difference against long odds.
I pray that as you study and ponder the life of Elijah, you'll learn some things to do -- and some things not to do. You'll also learn from the supporting cast of Ahab, Jezebel, Micaiah, Jehoshaphat, and Elisha. And in your learning you'll be able to better discern how God would have you live and minister where you are.
Initially developed as an online study, this book is ideal for personal spiritual development. Footnotes and probing discussion questions make it useful for teachers, small group leaders, and for sermon development.
Sign up today! Here's the outline of this 7-week study.
- Elijah Declares a Drought (1 Kings 17)
- Elijah Challenges Baal on Mount Carmel (1 Kings 18)
- Elijah and the Still Small Voice (1 Kings 19)
- Ahab's Syrian Wars (1 Kings 20)
- Naboth's Vineyard: Judgment and Grace (1 Kings 21)
- Prophecies against Ahab, Azariah, and Jehoram (1 Kings 22, 2 Kings 1, 2 Chronicles 21:12-15)
- Elijah and the Whirlwind (2 Kings 2;1-18) and Elijah's Legacy
- Appendix 1. Participant Handouts (may be duplicated for a small group or class free of charge)
This study is available in book format (below) or at no cost
delivered via e-mail over an
Participant lesson handouts can be downloaded and printed for your group or class at no charge.
This study is available in book formats (below), or at no cost delivered via e-mail, with lessons arriving each Saturday over 8 weeks. The book format, however, is more convenient for some.
(Place a check in the box to the left of item you select.)
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Apostle Paul
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)