Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Dr. Wilson's Books
Great Prayers of the Bible
Print this Page
Rembrandt (1606-1669), "St. Jerome at Prayer" (1635), etching 4-1/2"x3-1/8". Larger image.
We've got a long way to go to be able to pray with the courage of Abraham or the passion of Moses -- yours truly included. We want to learn to pray with great faith, but we're just not there yet. I believe that God will use this 11 week "Great Prayers of the Bible" online Bible study to develop you in prayer, to increase your faith and move you into a new level of prayer to your Father. We'll be studying some of the great prayers in order to teach us how to pray prayers that God will honor and answer. This is not a course in manipulating God. It is a study in who God is and how he responds to his children's petitions -- a course in how to be understanding children of God who learn how to adopt God's own heart as we pray.
Here are the prayers we'll be studying week-by-week (though the exact passages are still a bit in flux). Though there are many profound prayers in the Bible, we'll be focusing on these:
Artwork Depicting Prayer
What Are the Great Prayers of the Bible?
Chronology (End of the Monarchy, Exilic, Post-Exilic, and Intertestamental Periods)
Participant Guide Handouts (may be reprinted free)
- The Lord's Prayer (Matthew 6:5-15). Jesus taught this classic lesson in prayer to his disciples. We'll consider the Lord's Prayer phrase by phrase as a pattern for our own praying.
- Moses' Prayer for Israel in the Wilderness (Exodus 32:9-14). Incredible examples of Moses pleading with God to preserve his own name and character and not destroy Israel. We examine the question: Does prayer actually change anything?
- Abraham's Prayer for Sodom (Genesis 18:16-33). An example of intercessory prayer which finds its basis in God's character.
- David's Prayer for Pardon and Confession of Sin (Psalm 51). When we sin against God, how can we pray to restore our fellowship? David's prayer is a classic prayer of repentance.
Available as an e-book and paperbook
- Hezekiah's Petitions for Deliverance and Healing (2 Kings 19:14-19; 20:1-7). Here's a godly king about to see his nation conquered and destroyed by the mighty Assyrian army. Then he who has just heard from a prophet that he should prepare to die soon. How does he pray?
- David's Psalm of Surrender (Psalm 139). David struggles with God's intense knowledge of him, marvels at God's intricate formation of him in his mother's womb, and then prays a prayer of surrender to God's searching, knowing, probing, and refining.
- Daniel's Confession on Behalf of His People (Daniel 9:1-19). When Daniel realizes the 70 years of exile are ended, he offers a prayer of confession in which he (though personally a righteous man) identifies with the sins of his people and asks for God's mercy.
- Nehemiah's Prayer for Success (Nehemiah 1:1-2:9). Nehemiah hears of the suffering of the returned exiles. After grieving in fasting and prayer, Nehemiah prays for success -- and commits himself to God's will for his life.
- Jesus' Prayer of Submission at Gethsemane (Luke 22:39-46). Jesus asks for the cup (crucifixion) to be bypassed, but then prays for the Father's will to be done most of all.
- Paul's Prayers for the Ephesian Believers (Ephesians 1:15-23; 3:14-21). Here are Paul's prayers for the Ephesian Christians -- and for us -- to really understand the heights and depths of Christ's love for us.
I invite you to study the Great Prayers of the Bible with me over the next 13 weeks (11 lessons with two breaks to help you stay caught up). Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly for over these 8 weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
|As of December 3, 2005, we've had 3,318 sign-ups from more than 109 countries, including: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Benin, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Colombia, Cote D'Ivoire, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Faroe Islands, Fiji, France, Germany, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, HongKong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea (Republic of), Kuwait, Kyrgzstan, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Mongolia, Montserrat, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Pitcairn, Poland, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South Georgia and Sandwich Isl., Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Yugoslavia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. 16% specify text format, 84% HTML format. 26% selected the weekly format, 74% the daily format.|
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 2023, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Apostle Paul
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)
My books are available in paperback and Kindle from Amazon.