Jesus' Parables for Disciples
and Bible Study Commentary for Personal Devotional Use, Small Groups or Sunday
School Classes, and Sermon Preparation for Pastors and Teachers
Need to learn how to cope with pressure? Study 2 Corinthians!
Letters written to struggling churches by stressed-out apostles make fascinating reading. The Apostle Paul explains his situation: "We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life." He is writing to a church where his reputation has been trashed by self-appointed apostles, a church that desperately needs balance and correction.
From this crucible of tribulation comes the most intimate of Paul's epistles. He bares his soul, explains how God has given him strength despite physical abuse, repeated hardship, and crushing pressure. How can Paul endure? What makes this apostle tick? What can I learn from him? As you immerse yourself in 2 Corinthians, you begin to understand.
The letter contains many nuggets of spiritual insight, such as the anointing and sealing of the Spirit, living letters, transformation from beholding God's glory, treasures in clay pots, assurance of Christ's presence at the moment of death, the new creation, being ambassadors of reconciliation, holiness, financial sowing and reaping, and rejoicing in weakness because it causes you to draw from God's power.
This volume explores Second Corinthians in 12 lessons that can be used for personal enrichment, by small groups and classes, and by teachers and preachers for sermon preparation.
Here's the abbreviated table of contents of this 175-page book:
- Introduction to 2 Corinthians
- The God of All Comfort (1:1-11)
- Tension with the Corinthians (1:12-2:11)
- The Fragrance of Christ's Ministering People (2:12-3:6)
- Being Changed by God's Glory (3:7-18)
- Treasures in Clay Pots (4:1-18)
- Walking by Faith, Not by Sight (5:1-16)
- A Ministry of Reconciliation (5:17-6:2)
- Hardships, Holiness, and Joy (6:3-7:16)
- Generosity Modeled and Encouraged (8:1-9:5)
- Sowing Generously (9:6-15)
- Paul's Defense of His Ministry (10-11)
- Paul's Vision, Thorn, and Final Words (12-13)
- Appendix 1: Handouts for Group Participants
- Appendix 2. A Brief Critique of the Prosperity Message
Participant lesson handouts can be downloaded and printed for your group or class at no charge.
The book is available in both paperback and e-book
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus