Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Dr. Wilson's Books
Disciple Lessons from Hebrews
A 13-week online study of the Letter to the
Print this Page
Frederick Goodall (British painter, 1822-1904), "Portrait of Rabbi." Larger image.
The Letter to the Hebrews is an amazing book -- nothing like anything you see in the rest of the New Testament.
- In some places it soars. The "Hall of Faith" of Hebrews 11, for example, recites the faith of the patriarchs in terms that always lifts me up and inspires me.
- In other places it's downright difficult. Several verses are frankly hard to understand clearly, but intriguing nonetheless.
- Here and there you'll find stern warnings and exhortations. How should we take them?
- Occasionally you almost need hip-boots to wade through the various tabernacle sacrificial rituals from the book of Leviticus. But if you take the time to understand what is being said, you'll be staggered by the implications.
- It's filled with high-grade nuggets of Christian truth that will stay with you all your life!
Hebrews is certainly a book for disciples. It stirs our faith and nips at our heels when we get lazy in our walk. It helps us see Jesus in a new way. And it enables us to understand the role of suffering to discipline and train us up as Jesus' disciples. Though Hebrews discusses at length Old Testament themes of sacrifice, forgiveness, and Israel's high priest, it isn't about these things. Ultimately, the Letter to Hebrews is a lens that focuses all our attention of Jesus Christ -- who he is in both his humanity and divinity, and what he has done for us now and forever.
Hebrews is both a challenge and a joy. Are you up to the journey? I invite you to join us. There's no cost to join. Come along. Let's study together.
Introduction to Hebrews Audio (8:43)
- Jesus, the Father's Own Son (Hebrews 1:1-2:4)
- Jesus, Who Tastes Death for Everyone (2:5-18)
- Jesus, the Giver of Rest (3:1-4:13)
Now all the lessons are also available together in e-book and printed book formats.
- Warnings Against Apostasy (5:11-6:12)
- Jesus, Our High Priest Forever (6:13-7:28)
- Jesus, Mediator of a Better Covenant (8:1-9:12)
- Jesus, Our Willing Sacrifice (9:13-10:18)
- Let Us Draw Near: Confidence of Faith (10:19-39)
- Let Us Believe: Nature of Faith (11:1-6, 11)
- Let Us Trust: Perspective of Faith (11:7-12:2)
- Let Us Endure: Perseverance of Faith (12:3-29)
- Let Us Love: Workings of Faith and Epilogue (13:1-25)
References and Abbreviations
Hebrew-Jewish Art and Paintings
The Five Warning Passages of Hebrews
Text of the Epistle to the Hebrews (NIV)
Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly for over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Why don't you sign up today -- and then encourage some of your friends to sign up and study along with you.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 2023, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Apostle Paul
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)
My books are available in paperback and Kindle from Amazon.