Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Dr. Wilson's Books
Discipleship Lessons from
John's Letters (1, 2, and 3 John)
First, Second, and Third John, sometimes called the Epistles or Letters of John, are like trail mix -- concentrated, chewy, and nutritious.
When John writes these letters he is an elderly man. When he was young, he was Jesus' "beloved disciple." Now when he is old he is passing on the faith he learned at Jesus' feet.
He has lived in Ephesus for many years now, teaching and preaching in the churches around that great provincial capital. In First John he writes with great affection. Sprinkled through the letter are references to his "little children" and to his "beloved" friends in Christ.
That doesn't mean he is soft. In First John he:
Simon Ushakov, St. John the Theologian (1673), Sergiev Posad State History and Art Museum-Reserve, Moscow. Larger mage.
- Refutes enemies of Christ who had infiltrated the church and spread false and dangerous doctrine.
- Challenges believers to reject darkness and live in the light.
- Calls for righteous living at the same time as he assures them of the forgiveness of God.
- Underscores love as the greatest and highest commandment of our Lord Jesus Christ.
All in all, these letters pack a punch to their first century readers as well as readers in the twenty-first century.
I invite you to join me in an e-mail Bible study of the Epistles of John. Here's the outline:
- Walking in the Light (1 John 1:1-2:6)
- Don't Love the World (2:7-17)
- Antichrists, Anointing, and Abiding (2:18-27)
- Sin Is Lawlessness (2:28-3:10)
- Love in Action (3:11-24)
- God Is Love (4:1-21)
- God's Testimony Regarding Jesus (5:1-21)
- Walking in Love (2 and 3 John)
The study is available paperback, PDF and Kindle book formats.
- Stories about St. John from the Church Fathers
- Songs and Hymns from 1 John
- Artwork and paintings of St. John the Evangelist
- References and Abbreviations
- Reprint Policies
Here's how we'll study together.
Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help
you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use these lessons to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others'answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 2023, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Apostle Paul
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)
My books are available in paperback and Kindle from Amazon.