Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Sermon on the Mount: The Jesus Manifesto (Matthew 5 - 7)
James J. Tissot, "Jesus Preaches the Sermon on the Mount" (1886-1896), watercolor. Larger image.
Manifesto: "a written statement declaring publicly the intentions, motives, or views of its issuer."
A manifesto is where you put it all out there for people to grasp, ponder, and ultimately understand. In all the New Testament, the Sermon on the Mount as found in Matthew 5-7 is probably the most concise, definitive statement of Jesus' teachings, clearly contrasting his declaration of the Kingdom of God and how it differed radically from what passed for religion in his day -- and ours! Be prepared to be shocked and challenged by this study -- and ultimately grow as a committed follower, a disciple of this Jesus.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to sign up.
- Preface (Audio (6:58)
- Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount (Audio (19:34)
- Introduction to the Religion of the Pharisees (Audio (8:51)
- Paintings and Artwork of Jesus Teaching Ministry
- Songs and Hymns Based on the Sermon on the Mount
- Participant Lesson Handouts (for classes and groups)
I. Kingdom Citizens (5:1-16)
- Paradoxical People: the Beatitudes (5:1-13).
II. The Kingdom and the Spirit of the Law (5:17-48)
- The Spirit of the Law and Reconciliation (5:17-26).
III. Piety in the Kingdom (6:1-18).
- Giving, Prayer, and Fasting (6:1-8, 16-18).
Sermon on the Mount: The Jesus Manifesto is available in paperback and ebook formats
IV. Materialism and the Kingdom (6:19-34)
- Temptation to Idolatry (6:19-24). It is possible to be possessed by getting ahead -- or greed. Americans, especially, are blind to this bondage. What would Jesus have us do?
- Temptation to Worry (6:25-34). If we aren't hoarding wealth, we can still be controlled by our worry about lack of possessions. Jesus' prescription for the poor.
V. Discernment in the Kingdom (7:1-29)
- Judging Self and Others (7:1-6). "Judge not" is one of the most abused texts in the Bible. What did Jesus really mean?
- Asking in Faith (7:7-12). Important lessons on praying with faith. Jesus' instruction for powerful disciples.
- Discerning the True Way (7:13-29). All roads do not lead to heaven -- most lead to destruction. The Sermon concludes with warnings about obedient living and adequate life foundations.
I invite you to journey with me and thousands of brothers and sisters world-wide through a study of Jesus' remarkable Sermon on the Mount. Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Why don't you sign up today -- and then encourage some of your friends to sign up and study along with you.
|As of January 24, 2008, we've had more than 2,819 sign-ups from over 102 countries, including Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Faroe Islands, Fiji, France, Germany, Ghana, Guatemala, Guernsey, Guyana, HongKong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea (Republic of), Kuwait, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Lithuania, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia (Federal States of), Mongolia, Montserrat, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yugoslavia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. 16% specify text format, 84% HTML format. 36% selected the weekly format, 64% the daily format.|
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Apostle Paul
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)