Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
15 Brief Devotional Studies
On their way to the great Jewish feasts in Jerusalem, the pilgrims that flowed from the towns and villages of Judea and Samaria would sing together on the roads, the hills echoing with their songs.
Fifteen psalms are identified in their ascriptions as "A Song of Ascents." We believe that this collection within the Book of Psalms consists of the songs that these pilgrims sang together on their way to the Holy City ascending the hills one by one until they reached Zion itself.
These daily Bible studies provide a brief meditation on every one of these short but profound psalms. Each is a bit longer than a standard "devotional." The author seeks to do justice to what the whole psalm says, rather than just lifting out an inspiring thought. In the process of reading, meditating, and focusing in on the main theme of each psalm, the reader will be enriched. The author also wrote Experiencing the Psalms (JesusWalk Publications, 2010).
Here are my titles for the fifteen psalms you'll study day by day.
- Psalm 120. Calling on the Lord for Deliverance
- Psalm 121. The Lord Is Your Keeper
- Psalm 122. Let Us Go to the House of the Lord
- Psalm 123. Pleading for God's Mercy
- Psalm 124. God Is Our Help in Trouble
- Psalm 125. The Lord Surrounds His People
- Psalm 126. Reaping with Shouts of Joy
- Psalm 127. Resting in God's Provision
- Psalm 128. The Blessings of Trusting in the Lord
- Psalm 129. Oppressed but Not Defeated
- Psalm 130. Waiting Expectantly for the Lord
- Psalm 131. Quieting Our Soul in the Lord
- Psalm 132. God's Promise to David
- Psalm 133. The Beauty of Unity
- Psalm 134. Come, Bless the Lord
Available in paperback, PDF, and Kindle formats.
For more on the Psalms, I refer you to my study "Experiencing the Psalms," either in book form, or an e-mail-delivered study.
You'll find the two weeks of this study a very rich time immersing yourself in the Songs of Ascent. And as you're faithful to pause for the meditation of the day, day after day, you'll begin to experience the cumulative effect of all these passages, and begin to trust in new, faith-filled ways. It's my prayer that through these meditations, you'll grow in Christ and in your confidence in our God.
To see what people are finding in these lessons, click here.
Here's how we'll study together.
- Each day I'll send you a daily devotion based on one of Songs of Ascent.
- You can respond to the discussion questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With day's meditation you'll receive a link to a 8 to 15 minute audio teaching with me reading the lesson. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
If you sign up now, you'll receive the introduction tomorrow, and then a lesson each day for the next 14 successive days. There is absolutely no charge for these e-mail lessons.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Apostle Paul
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)