Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Dr. Wilson's Books
Disciple's Guide to the Holy Spiritby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
What is the Holy Spirit? Or better, Who is the Holy Spirit? To many Christians the Spirit is a complete mystery. What does the Holy Spirit actually do?
This series of 11 lessons, taught as a free e-mail study, is designed to explore the key Bible passages about the Holy Spirit. It doesn't try to be comprehensive, however. To cover all the verses on the Spirit would be mind-boggling. However, it is designed to be essentially complete, helping you to understand what a disciple needs to know so you can encounter the Spirit and learn to walk with Him.
This isn't just a study of Biblical theology; it is designed to help you grow in the Spirit. Each lesson contains several discussion questions to help you interact with key concepts in the passages we're examining. A weekly Growth Assignment helps you grow in your relationship with the Spirit.
Over the last fifty years I have studied the Holy Spirit, learned to discern his voice, observed various gifts of the Spirit in action, and experienced some of them in my own life and ministry. I have a growing conviction that the Holy Spirit's power and gifting are undiminished in the twenty-first century. His power is just as vital now as in the first century church, his presence just as sweet. He is like a powerful flowing river, and I long to be caught up in His current more and more. I invite you to go river-rafting with me!
Here's an outline of what we'll be studying over the eleven weeks:
Available in paperback, Kindle, and PDF formats
- The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament
- The Holy Spirit in Jesus' Ministry
- The Holy Spirit Paraclete (John 14-16)
- Born of the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit Within
- Baptized with the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit versus the Flesh
- Gifts Empowered by the Holy Spirit (part 1)
- Gifts Empowered by the Holy Spirit (part 2)
- Listening for the Holy Spirit's Voice
- Living in the Holy Spirit
- Appendix 1. Participant Handouts
- Appendix 2. Four Reasons Why I Believe in the Trinity
- Appendix 3. Deepening Your Quiet Time with God
[Click here to see the full course outline with Bible passages to be studied]
I encourage you to sign up for this study today so you don't forget -- and invite your friends to do the same. If you sign up now, you'll receive the first lesson this on the Friday after you subscribe. There is absolutely no charge for these e-mail lessons.
Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- If you sign up for the daily questions version, on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use these lessons to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the discussion questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 25- to 40-minute audio teaching with me reading the lesson. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
- You can download and reprint free Participant Handouts if you're leading a class or small group.
If you sign up now, you'll receive your first lesson this on the Friday after you subscribe. There is absolutely no charge for these e-mail lessons.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 2023, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Apostle Paul
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)
My books are available in paperback and Kindle from Amazon.