Jesus' Parables for Disciples
1 & 2 Timothy and Titus
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Discipleship and Leadership Lessons from the Pastoral Epistles
A Free 13-week E-Mail Bible Study
"St. Timothy" (5th Century), fresco, Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls, Rome. Photo by Richard Stracke. Larger image.
I've always loved the Pastoral Epistles -- 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus.. Paul's warmth encourages me, his exhortations to his protégés Timothy and Titus challenge me, his example of sacrificing all for the gospel humbles me. These thee epistles include:
My mind keeps returning to Paul's last words:
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness ...." (2 Timothy 4:7-8)
You and I want to live our lives strongly and finish well! These letters teach us how and urge us towards godly living. Here is the outline of our 13-week study:
- God's Grace and Calling (1 Timothy 1:1-20)
- Men and Women in God's Household (1 Timothy 2:1-15)
- Selecting Leaders in God's Household (1 Timothy 3:1-16; Titus 1:6-9)
- Setting a Godly Example (1 Timothy 4:1-16)
- Advice about Widows, Elders, and Slaves (1 Timothy 5:1-25; 6:1-2)
- Reject Greed, Pursue Godliness (1 Timothy 6:3-21)
- Teaching Christians the Godly Life (Titus 1:1-2:12)
Christ's Return and Redemption (Titus 2:13-3:15)
- Be Neither Intimidated nor Ashamed (2 Timothy 1:1-17)
- Endure Hardship for Christ (2 Timothy 2:1-19)
- Fit for the Master's Use (2 Timothy 2:20-3:14a)
- Preachers, Teachers, and Holy Scripture (2 Timothy 3:14-4:5)
- I Have Fought the Good Fight (2 Timothy 4:6-22)
- Appendix 1. Participant Handouts
- Appendix 2. Chart of Qualifications of Church Leaders (1 Timothy 3:2-12; Titus 1:6-9). HTML | PDF
- Inspiration, Inerrancy, and Authority of Holy Scripture
|Here's what people have said who have completed the study:
"This study is so rich and deep to the extent that you don't want it to end ... a personal spiritual uplifting." -- O.M. Toriola
"It is evident that plenty of research and critical thought goes into each lesson, but the lessons are written so that everyone can grasp the meaning." -- Jeff Hawley
"Dr. Wilson does not tell the student what to believe. You don't have to agree, but you will find it thought provoking and it will lead you to better figure out what you do believe. A true teacher." -- E. M.
"Renewed and refreshed me during a very difficult time." -- Janice Mozley
"Enables me to benefit from the fruits without the vast amount of time required to research such a study." -- Rev. Paul Nash
Available in paperback, PDF, and Kindle formats.
I invite you to journey with me and thousands of brothers and sisters world-wide through a study of 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus. Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- You can respond to discussion questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to this material in audio form. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Why don't you sign up right now -- and then encourage some of your friends to sign up and study along with you.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson Friday, January 5, 2024. You'll finish right before Easter. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.Old Testament
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus