Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Paintings Depicting Prayer
Themes of St. Francis, St. Jerome, the Virgin Mary, David,
Hezekiah, and Christ in Prayer
Francisco De Zurbarán (1598-1664), St. Francis in Meditation (1635-39), Oil on canvas. National Gallery, London, 162 x 137 cm. Larger image.
Alessandro Magnasco (Italian painter, 1667-1749), Praying Monks. Oil on canvas, 53,6 x 43,9 cm, Museum voor Schone Kunsten, Ghent
Nicolaes Maes (Dutch painter, 1634-1693), Old Woman at Prayer, known as "Prayer without End" (1656), oil on canvas, 134 x 113 cm, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam.
Aert de Gelder (Dutch painter, 1645-1727), Old Woman Praying (c. 1700), Oil on Canvas, 35.63" x 30.91" (90.5 x 78.5 cm.).
Matthias Stom (Dutch, c. 1600- c.1649), Old Woman Praying, oil on canvas; 30 5/8 x 25 1/8 in. (77.8 x 63.8 cm), Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
Henry Holiday, Figure Praying (1919-1920), Stained Glass, Calvary Album, photo taken by P. Neil Ralley
Jean-François Millet (French Realist Painter, 1814-1875), "The Angelus" (El Rezo del Angelus, 1857-59), oil on canvas, 55.5 x 66 cm, Musee d'Orsay, Paris. Moving painting of farmer and wife in field thanking God for his provision during potato harvest. Another.
Marc Chagall, The Praying Jew, 1923, oil on canvas, Art Institute of Chicago.
Pascal-Adolphe-Jean Dagnan-Bouveret (French painter, 1852-1929), "Bretons Praying" (1888),
Oil on canvas, 124x85cm, private collection. Larger image. (Note: Bretons are residents of Brittany, France.)
Pascal-Adolphe-Jean Dagnan-Bouveret, Bretons praying (1888), oil on canvas, 124x85cm, private collection.
St. Francis Praying
El Greco (1548-1614), St Francis Praying (1580-85), oil on canvas, 116 x 102 cm, Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha.
Leonardo Da Vinci,
Saint Jerome Praying
in the Wilderness, unfinished painting on wood panel
(1032 x 749 mm), Vatican City, Musei Vaticani.
Annibale Carracci (Italian painter, 1560-1609), St. Francis of Assissi (1585-90). Larger image.
Francisco De Zurbarán (1598-1664). Several striking paintings of St. Francis of Assisi in prayer.
St. Francis (c. 1660), Alte Pinakothek, Munich, Olio su tela, 64cm x 53
Meditation of St Francis (1632), Oil on canvas, 114 x 78 cm, Shaw Collection, Buenos Aires.
*San Francesco d'Assisi (1645), Museo BB.AA Lione, France, Olio su tela 197 x 106 cm.
San Francesco pregando (1641-58), Col. Plácido Arango, Madrid. Olio su tela 127 x 97 cm. A number of St. Francis images on this site.
The Ecstasy of St. Francis (1635-40). National Gallery, London, Olio su tela 152 x 99 cm.
"Old Woman Praying," by Matthias Stom (Flemish painter, 1600-c. 1649), oil on canvas; 30 5/8 x 25 1/8 in., Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Larger image.
Bartolomew Esteban Murillo, Saint Francis of Asisi praying (1645-50), Oil on fabric. 182 X 129 cm., Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal, Antwerp.
Alonso Cano, San Francesco (1657- 1659), Iglesia de S. Francisco el Grande, Madrid, olio su tela
Mic Carlson, contemporary painter and illustrator, has a number of paintings of St. Francis, with a beautuful study of Francis praying.
St. Jerome Praying
Follower of Caravaggio, anamorphic Saint Jerome Praying, 1635, oil on canvas. Circular distortion.
Harmensz van Rijn Rembrandt (1606-1669)
- St. Jerome Kneeling in Prayer (1635), Etching. Signed and dated. A 19th century impression of the only state. B. 102; H. 140; BB. 35-H4 1/2" x 3 1/8".
- St. Jerome Kneeling in Prayer (1632), etching, 10x8cm, 4x3in
- circle of Rambrandt, Old Man in Prayer (n.d.), Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
The Virgin Mary in Prayer
Sassoferrato (Italian painter (1609-1685) (Giovanni Battista Salvi)
- The Virgin in Prayer (1640-50), oil on canvas, 73 x 58 cm, National Gallery, London
- Madonna in Prayer (1640s), oil on canvas, Accademia Carrara, Bergamo.
Albrecht Dürer (Dutch painter, engraver, and woodcut illustrator)
- The Virgin Mary in Prayer (1518), oil on lindenwood, 53 x 43 cm, Staatliche Museen, Berlin
- Study of
(1508) Brush and ink heightened with white on blue tinted paper
29 x 20 cm, Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna. another
- Agony in the Garden (1508), engraving.
- Agony in the Garden (1510) woodcut, 127x98mm, "small passion" series. Nice detail of Christ praying.
- Agony in the Garden (1497, woodcut, 39 x 28 cm, "large passion" series. Detail difficult to discern from background.
Gerrit Dou (Dutch Painter), The Prayer of the Spinner (1630-1650), oil on wood, 27,7 x 28,3 cm, Alte Pinakothek, Munich
Harmensz van Rijn Rembrandt (1606-1669)
- Moses Breaking the 10 Commandments
- Old Woman praying (Rembrandt's Mother Praying, 1629/30), Oil/Copperplate with gold priming, 15,5 x 12,2 cm. Residenz Galerie, Salzburg
- Apostle Paul (1657), Oil on canvas, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 40.9" x 51.6" (104.0cm x 131.0cm). Rembrandt (and Workshop?)
- "Ancestors of Christ: Hezekiah - Manasseh - Amon" (1511-1512), Sistine Chapel, Vatican. Hezekiah is either dozing or praying.
- "King David" (1858-64), from The Seed of David, King David (1858-64), watercolor on paper support, 279 x 127 mm, Tate Collections.
Charles Sprague Pearce (American artist, 1851-1914)
- Religion (AKA Prayer, 1886), mural in the north corridor, Great Hall, Thomas Jefferson Building at the Library of Congress, Washington DC. Praying before a crude altar
J.H. Hartley, in James Bailie and J H Hartley (illustrator), The Bible Story a connected narrative retold from Holy Scripture (A & C Black Ltd., London, 1923). Moses Praying on Mt. Pisgah (1922) (clipart.com collection, color, #1050661).
Millais, Sir John Everett (Pre-Raphaelite English painter and illustrator, 1829-1896). Judah and Hur Holding Up Moses' Hands (clipart.com, b&w, #497466)
James J. Tissot (1836-1902, French artist and illustrator), "David Praying in the Night," gouach on board, Jewish Museum, New York.
Tissot, James J. (1836-1902, French artist and illustrator). Other works.
- Moses and the 10 Commandments
- Moses standing (clipart.com, color #168782)
- Moses Sees the Promised Land from Afar.
- Death of Moses
- Moses on the Mountain During the Battle
- Moses Kneeling in Prayer at his Household (clipart.com, b&w, #168682).
- David Singing
- David Praying in the Night
- The Lord's Prayer (1899)
- Daniel in the Lion's Den
- Christ Goes to the Mountain to Pray
- Two or Three Gathered in My Name
Gertrude Marsh, Hezekiah spread it before the Lord (1891)
Morgan Weistling (California illustrator and painter, 1964- )
- "A Thankful Heart" (2001). Girl with white apron, long dress, single pigtail and folded hands praying before a meal. Reminiscent of Norman Rockwell.
- "Thy Will Be Done" (1998). Jesus, with white hooded robe, with folded hands, standing in prayer. "I wanted to emphasize his strong carpenter's hands, clasped in prayer, representing his communion with the Father" - Morgan Weistling.
F. Alexandre Bida (French painter and illustrator, 1813-1895).
Illustrated Les Saints Evangeles (1873) with 28 etchings and Christ in
Art; or, The Gospel Life of Jesus: With the Bida Illustrations. by Edward
Eggleston (New York: Fords, Howard, & Hulbert, 1874)
Rudolf Schäfer (1929), from illustrated German Bible. Available from ClipArt.com
Contemporary Painters on Prayer
- Jennifer Anderson (contemporary UK artist), Prayer, oil on canvas, 54x28 inches.
- Brian Jekel (contemporary LDS artist), Gethsemane's Prayer.
- Valery Tsenov (contemporary artist), L'Elevation des Prieres, huile sur toile, 46 x 55 cm
- Richard Hook, Christ at Prayer
- Jack Hammer (Cartoonist), Honoring Praying Mothers. BW cartoon.
- Pam McCabe (contemporary artist), Three Girls Praying, popular poster. Original in pastel.
- (contemporary artist), Christ Praying, print.
- Muh Faisol (contemporary artist), Berdoa (Praying) (2001), oil on canvas, 70x90cm.
- Vadim Koltun, Praying man (2003) oil on canvas, sold as posters.
Richard McBee (1947- ), contemporary artist, New York City, Abraham Praying (1996), Ink & Gouache (10 ¾ x 14).
Unknown artist, Kneeling at Prayer Wall.
Unknown (asian?) artist, Nehemiah praying for Jerusalem, Crossmap illustration #1224698795.
Unknown illustrator, Nehemiah weeps, Crossmap illustration, Initials J.F., b&w
Eric Enstrom (American photographer, 1875-1968), "Grace" (1918), sepia photograph, later handpainted in oils by the artist's daughter Rhoda Nyberg. Copyrighted image. Image of white-bearded old man praying with clasped hands over a table with a loaf of bread, soup, and a Bible.
David's Confession in Psalm 51
Julius Schnoor von Carolsfeld (German artist, 1794-1872), woodcut illustrations in Das Buch der Bücher in Bilden
- Sir Edward Poynter (English neoclassical painter, 1836-1919), Daniel's Prayer (1865), from Illustrations for `Dalziel's Bible Gallery'. Relief print on paper, image: 190 x 175 mm, on paper, print. Tate Collection.
- Unknown Illustrator, Daniel's Confession.
- RUBENS, Pieter Pauwel, Daniel in the Lion's Den, c. 1615, Oil on canvas, 224.3 x 330.4 cm, National Gallery of Art, Washington. Daniel looks terrified and naked.
- Briton Rivière (British Painter, 1840-1920)
- Tissot, Daniel in the Lion's Den
Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane
Paul Troger (Austrian Painter, 1698-1762), Christ comforted by an angel (c. 1730), oil on canvas, Museo Diocesano, Camerino. Larger image.
- Collection in Biblical Art on the WWW on Jesus praying in agony
- William Blake, The Agony in the Garden (c. 1799-1800), Tempera on copper, Tate Collections.
- Heinrich Hofmann (1824–1911), Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. Well known image, but prayer looks quite passive, no agony at all. Idealized.
- Gerrit van Honthorst, Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, Oil on canvas. 113x110 cm, Holland. c1617. State Hermitage Museum.
- Paul Troger (Austrian Painter, 1698-1762), Christ comforted by an angel (c. 1730), oil on canvas, Museo Diocesano, Camerino
- Unknown contemporary, from Vie de Jésus Mafa, black Christ with engaging hands, sleeping disciples.
- Paolo Veronese (Italian, Mannerism, 1528-1588), Christ in the garden supported by an angel (c. 1580), oil on canvas, 31 3/8 x 42 1/2 inches, Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan
- Warner Sallman, Christ in Gethsamene. Idealized.
- Carl Heinrich Bloch (Danish painter, 1834-1890), Christ in Gethsamene, The National Historical Museum at Frederiksborg Castle. Comforted by an angel. Striking painting, sorrow rather than agony.
- Kathryn Barnes, contemporary painter, Christ at Gethsemane, portrait. Oils on canvas.
- Tracey Clark, contemporary artist, Christ At Gethsemane, sienna on toned paper / 24" x 20", 1998. Striking drawing of Christ in a fetal position, ministered to by an angel. Catches the idea of agony in prayer better than almost any I've seen. A related drawing, Christ In The Wilderness, sienna on toned paper / 25.5" x 18", 1999.
- Eugène Delacroix (1798-1862), Christ in the Olive Garden (1824-27), oil on canvas, 362 x 294 cm
- James C. Christensen (1942- ), Gethsemane (1984), oil on panel, 40" x 44".Striking depiction of Jesus in earnest prayer backed up by an angel behind him.BYU graduate.
- El Greco, Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane (1597-1600). Oil on canvas. Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, Ohio
Christian Art and Paintings:
Abraham Art | Agnus Dei Art | Angel Art | Annunciation Art |
Celtic Stone Cross Art |
Christian Symbols and Art |
Christmas Art |
Easter Art |
Passion of Christ
by Tissot |
Hebrew-Jewish Art | Holy Week Art | Jacob | Jesus' Ministry Art | Jesus' Teaching Art |
Jesus Portraits and Art | John the Baptist
| John the Apostle
| Lamb of God Art | Last Supper Art | Madonna & Child Art |
Moses and the
Exodus | Names of God Art | OT Misc Art | Psalms Art | Palm Sunday Art | Paul Art and Paintings | Day of Pentecost Art | Peter Art and Paintings |
Prayer Art | Resurrection Art | Revelation Art |
Thanksgiving and Pilgrims Art |
Timothy Art and Paintings
Copyright of artwork. Much, but not all, of the artwork linked to on this site is in the public domain worldwide due to the date of death of its author (if it is was published outside of the U.S. and the author has been dead for over 70 years), or due to its date of publication (if it was first made public in the U.S. before 1923), at least in the United States (see Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.), in Germany, and in many other countries.
Copyright © 1985-2015, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ