Jesus' Parables for Disciples
Series 6. The Infancy Narrative (Luke 1:5-2:52)
8 Lessons (Lessons A-H)
If you're just joining Discipleship Training in Luke's Gospel during the Advent season -- Welcome! The focus of this series is Jesus' disciple-training mission, with each of 120 lessons in the series aimed at grasping the lessons that Jesus sought to impart to his disciples.
Unlike most studies of Luke, I've chosen to conclude our study of Luke with the accounts of Jesus' birth rather than begin there. That is because Jesus' discipling ministry began at about age 30. However, from Luke's perspective as an evangelist, the infancy narratives are important because they help the reader understand just who Jesus is. He is the Messiah, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born into a loving human family.
Jesus is not just a precocious young man who rose to great renown. He is sent from the Father into this world for a particular mission that will climax with the cross and salvation. As you study the story of these events, you'll gain a deeper appreciation for how Jesus' birth is part of God's plan throughout the ages.
You might want to study these lessons at the rate of two per week, during the four weeks of Advent. When you finish, why don't you join us at the beginning of our JesusWalk in Series 1.
Sign up now!
Note that the purpose of this study is to train you as a disciple, not to "cover lots of material rapidly." To change your heart takes time. It is a process. You can't rush it, even if you try. This material is deep and takes time to absorb and respond to. Nevertheless, you have a choice of frequency. -- Pastor Ralph
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
If you need to go faster, all the lessons are online for your reading. But mere reading doesn't equal heart change required in discipleship.
There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
- Zechariah's Vision in the Temple (1:5-25). Audio (21:50)
- The Annunciation to Mary (1:26-38). Audio (11:23)
- Mary Visits Elizabeth (1:39-56). Audio (17:28)
- Birth of John the Baptist (1:57-80). Audio (22:01)
- Jesus' Birth in Bethlehem (2:1-7). Audio (11:41)
- Shepherds in Bethlehem (2:8-20). Audio (24:34)
- Meeting Simeon and Anna in the Temple (2:21-38). Audio (25:56)
- The Boy Jesus at the Temple (2:39-52). Audio (21:34)
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.Old Testament
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus