Names and Titles of Jesus
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Sermon on the Mount
James: Practical Christianity
Disciple Lessons from the Letter of James
Print this Page
I hope you'll join me in this Bible study. I've been a pastor for the last 30 years, and since 1996 I've been conducting Internet Bible studies. Today I find great joy in teaching people all over the world from every denomination and faith tradition -- even those with no faith background at all. You're welcome to learn more about me and what I believe, if you like. -- Dr. Ralph F. Wilson, Director|
James was a practical man. He had seen hypocrisy -- in himself, in the Pharisees, in everyday Christians -- and he would have none of it. His letter to the early Christian churches is practical and convicting. He talks about heart Christianity worked out in actions. He discusses love and then insists that Christian love can just say compassionate words to the hungry -- love must feed them.
James was Jesus' brother, a son of Joseph and Mary. During Jesus ministry he was a skeptic, but eventually he became the lead pastor of the Church at Jerusalem and help set the tone for the entire emerging Christian movement.
Luther called James' Letter "a right strawy epistle" since it didn't present the gospel as clearly as Paul's letters that he favored. But I've found it a right convicting epistle, which God has used to help me cut through my self-deception and take seriously the matter of being a disciple of Christ.
I invite you to study the Letter of James with me over the next 8 weeks.
Available in paperback and e-book
Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly for over these 8 weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- On Fridays I'll e-mail you the link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Here's the outline:
- Experiencing Joy in Trials (1:1-18)
- Hearing and Practicing the Word (1:18-27)
- Forsaking Favoritism for Love (2:1-13)
- Energizing Your Faith by Works (2:14-26)
- Attaining Tongue-Taming Wisdom (3:1-18)
- Submitting Yourself to God (4:1-12)
- Learning Patience in an Instant Age (4:13-5:12)
- Praying the Prayer of Faith (5:13-20)
- Lesson Handouts for Participants (can be reprinted at no charge)
|As of January 13, 2005, we've had 1,356 sign-ups from more than 75 countries, including: Afghanistan, Albania, American Samoa, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Bulgaria, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Denmark, Djibouti, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, HongKong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Mongolia, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Romania, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Suriname, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vanuatu, and Zimbabwe. 16.3% chose text format, while 83.4% selected HTML format.|
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 1985-2016, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ