1 & 2 Thessalonians
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Year of St. Paul
1st Peter: Disciple Lessons from the Fishermanby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Print this Page
I hope you'll join me in this Bible study. I've been a pastor for the last 30
years, and since 1996 I've been conducting
Internet Bible studies. Today I find great joy in teaching people all over
the world from every denomination and faith tradition -- even those with no
faith background at all. You're welcome to learn more
about me and
what I believe, if you like. Why don't you listen to a
4 minute audio clip where I explain how this Bible study works. -- Dr.
Ralph F. Wilson, Director|
- You'll be refreshed with hope and joy.
- You'll see Jesus more clearly -- as Lamb, Shepherd, Overseer, Sacrifice, and Chief Shepherd.
- If you're struggling with temptation, you'll find several encouragements to holy living that will strengthen you.
- If you're suffering for something you didn't do -- or perhaps did do -- you'll find perspective and assurance.
- Peter gives us:
- A clear vision of the Church.
- Wisdom for marriage
- Encouragement to witness -- with gentleness
- Important words about spiritual gifts, and
- Guidelines for church leaders.
All this in the 105 verses that comprise this short New Testament letter. Short as it is, however, we won't rush through it, but savor it, meditate on it, and seek to internalize its truths.
All lessons are compiled as a e-book or paperback
Peter is an apostle we can learn from. He walked with Jesus during his ministry and then spent the next thirty years preaching this Jesus and building his church all over the known world. A worthy teacher!
Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week. Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study since I'm believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about 1 Peter constantly for eleven weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
We'll take a couple of one-week breaks during these eleven weeks, however, to give you a chance to catch up if you're behind.
Here's our outline of how we'll use the next eleven weeks:
Introduction to 1 Peter
Artwork of Peter the Apostle
Participant Handouts for Classes and Groups (may be reprinted free)
References and Abbreviations
- Rejoicing in Our Salvation (1:1-12)
- Living Holy Lives (1:13-2:3)
- Being God's Chosen People (2:4-12)
- Submitting and Suffering Like Jesus (2:13-23)
- Appreciating Jesus' Atonement for Our Sins (2:24-25)
- Living as Christian Husbands and Wives (3:1-7)
- Suffering with a Clear Conscience (1 Peter 3:8-22)
- Serving God in Everything (4:1-11)
- Suffering According to God's Will (4:12-19)
- Leading with Humility (5:1-6)
- He Cares for You (5:7-14)
I hope I've convinced you to go with me on a JesusWalk for the next eleven weeks. Join me in sitting at the feet of Jesus' lead Apostle, St. Peter and learning "Disciple Lessons from the Fisherman."
Yours in Christ's service
Sign up right now. We respect your privacy and never sell or rent our lists. Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. Each of them is pretty intensive. Also, please don't sign up for your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Copyright © 1985-2013, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
Other Bible Study Books
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ