28 Advent Scriptures
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Artwork of St. Peter the ApostleCollected by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Anthony Van Dyke (Flemish painter,1599-1641) Penitent Apostle Peter (1617-1618), Oil on canvas, Hermitage, St Petersburg, Russia. Larger image.
There are many depictions of St. Peter over the centuries. These are some of my favorites.
St. Peter, from a mosaic icon in naves of the Patriarchal Basilica of St. Paul: Outside the Wall, The Vatican.
"St Peter Healing the Sick with his Shadow," by Masaccio (1401-1427?), the first great painter of the Italian Renaissance. This is part of a series in fresco for the Brancacci Chapel in Santa Maria del Carmine, Florence (about 1427). It depicts an event in Peter's life described in Acts 5:15.
Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528), "Jesus Washing Peter's Feet" (1508-1509), The Small Passion series, small woodcut, 12.7 x 10 cm., British Museum, London.
"Crucifixion of Peter" (1481-82) by Florentine painter Filippino Lippi (1457-1504), fresco, 230 x 598 cm., Cappella Brancacci, Santa Maria del Carmine, Florence, Italy.
Michelangelo (1475-1564), detail from "The Last Judgment" (1534-41), fresco altarpiece at one end of the Sistene Chapel, Vatican, Rome. St. Peter is identified by the keys he is carrying, a reference to Matthew 16:19.
"The Crucifixion of St. Peter" (1600-1601) is portrayed by Italian painter Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (1573-1610) with dramatic lighting, oil on canvas, 2300mm x 1750mm, Cerasi Chapel, Santa Maria del Popolo, Rome.
Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528), "St Peter and St John Healing the Cripple" (1513), engraving, 118 x 74 mm, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
Gustave Dore, St. Peter Delivered from Prison (Acts 12:7-8)
"St. Peter Freed from Prison," by Florentine painter Filippino Lippi (1457-1504), fresco, 230 x 88 cm, Cappella Brancacci, Santa Maria del Carmine, Florence.
"St. Peter Denying Christ," by French book illustrator Paul Gustav Doré (1832-1883), engraving, 200x245 mm.
St. Peter, fresco fragments, Rome, second half of the 13th century, 39 cm high, 27.6 cm wide.
St. Peter with Keys, marble statue in the Antwerp Cathedral.
Rembrandt Hamerszoon van Rijn (1606-1669), Dutch painter
- The Apostle Peter (1632), oil on canvas, 81.3 x 66.2 cm Nationalmuseum, Stockolm.
- "St. Peter in Prison" (1631) Oil on panel, 59x47.8 cm, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. Peter kneels bathed in light, though his lonliness in prison is accentuated by the surrounding space. Notice his trademark "keys to the kingdom" next to him on the straw.
- Two Old Men Disputing (St. Peter and St. Paul in Conversation, 1628), oil on wood, 72.4 x 59.7 cm, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, AU. Another.
"Saint Peter" (1605-1615), studio of Peter Paul Rubens, oil on panel, 92 x 67.5 cm, National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.
"Transfiguration of Christ" (ca. 1441), by Florentine painter and Dominican friar Fra Angelico(ca. 1400-1455), Fresco, 181 x 152 cm, Museo di San Marco, Cell 6, Florence, Italy. Peter seems to be crouching at the bottom left.
"The Denial of St. Peter" (ca. 1525-1530) by Flemish illustrator Simon Bening. Tempera colors and gold on parchment, 6 5/8 x 4 1/2 in., Brandenburg Prayer Book, in the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, CA.
Fra Angelico. Peter Martyr Enjoins Silence. c.1441. Fresco inside a monk's cell, 108 x 145. Museo di San Marco, Florence, Italy.
Gerard (Gerrit) van Honthorst (1590–1656)
- De verloochening door Petrus (ca. 1620), olie op doek (150 × 197 cm), Musée des Beaux-Arts, Rennes
- The Denial of St. Peter (c. 1623), oil on canvas, 43 1/2 x 57 in., Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- The Liberation of St. Peter, canvas 129x179 cm Gemäldegalerie. Berlín. Alemania
Hendrick Terbrugghen, The Denial of St. Peter (c. 1628), oil on canvas, Art Institute of Chicago
José Ribera (Guiseppe (Jusepe) de Ribera, 1588–1652), (circle of Jose Ribera) The Penitent Saint Peter , oil on canvas, 93 x 70.5 cm, European private collection. Another. A painting on this subject (c.1628-1632) is also on display at the Art Institute of Chicago, but I can't find an image of it online.
Francisco de Goya y Lucientes, St. Peter Repentant (1823-25), oil on canvas, 29 x 25.5 cm, Phillips Collection, Washington
Anthony Van Dyke (Flemish painter,1599-1641)
- Penitent Apostle Peter (1617-1618), Oil on canvas, Hermitage, St Petersburg, Russia
- "St. Jude (Thaddeus)" (1619-1621, Oil on canvas, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna
Pompeo Batoni (1708-1787), St. Peter, Basildon Park, National Trust, UK. Also portraits of St. Matthew, St. John, and St. Paul
- St. Peter in Penitence (1580s), oil on canvas 109x90 cm, Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle
- St. James the Less (1586-1590), Art Institute of Chicago. Another.
Giotto (1267-1337), St. Peter Tondo (1290s), Basilica of San Francesco, Upper Basilica, Assisi, Italy.
Christian Art and Paintings:
Abraham Art | Agnus Dei Art | Angel Art | Annunciation Art |
Celtic Stone Cross Art |
Christian Symbols and Art |
Christmas Art |
Easter Art |
Passion of Christ
by Tissot |
Hebrew-Jewish Art | Holy Week Art | Jacob | Jesus' Ministry Art | Jesus' Teaching Art |
Jesus Portraits and Art | John the Baptist
| John the Apostle
| Lamb of God Art | Last Supper Art | Madonna & Child Art |
Moses and the
Exodus | Names of God Art | OT Misc Art | Psalms Art | Palm Sunday Art | Paul Art and Paintings | Day of Pentecost Art | Peter Art and Paintings |
Prayer Art | Resurrection Art | Revelation Art |
Thanksgiving and Pilgrims Art |
Timothy Art and Paintings
Copyright of artwork. Much, but not all, of the artwork linked to on this site is in the public domain worldwide due to the date of death of its author (if it is was published outside of the U.S. and the author has been dead for over 70 years), or due to its date of publication (if it was first made public in the U.S. before 1923), at least in the United States (see Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.), in Germany, and in many other countries.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Apostle Paul
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)