Rebuild & Renew: The Post-Exilic Books
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Sermon on the Mount
Moses the Reluctant Leader
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Discipleship and Leadership Lessons
Please share this webpage on Facebook or bookmark the site using the buttons above. Thanks!
James J. Tissot, "Moses Sees the Promised Land from Afar" (1896-1900), Jewish Museum, New York. Larger image.
In this 9-week study, I've chosen to study large parts of Exodus and Numbers in terms of Moses the follower of Yahweh and leader on His behalf, rather than as a history of the people of Israel. My focus will be on what we can learn from Moses as a man of faith and as a reluctant leader of God's people.
You may be a church member and disciple. But, more likely than not, you're also a leader in your church, perhaps as a deacon or elder or pastor. As you take the time to look at Moses the man, you'll learn a lot that can benefit you in your ministry. Even as a seasoned-pastor myself, I am struggling to learn afresh the lessons that this 80-year-old, newly-minted leader was learning from God during his on-the-job training.
This study is be presented as free, e-mail-delivered Bible study.
Available as an e-book and paperback
- The Birth and Call of Moses (Exodus 1-4)
- Finding Courage to Stand (Exodus 5-11)
- Passover and Crossing the Red Sea (Exodus 12-15)
- Grumbling, Conflict, and Delegation (Exodus 15-18)
- The Covenant at Mount Sinai (Exodus 19-24)
- The Golden Calf and Moses' Intercession (Exodus 32-34)
- The Tabernacle, Priesthood, and Sacrifices (Exodus 20-31, 35-40; Leviticus 1-17; Numbers 6-10)
- Rebellion against Moses' Leadership (Numbers 11-17)
- Conquering the Transjordan and Moses' Death (Numbers 20-27; Deuteronomy 32, 34)
- Epilogue: Moses' Leadership Legacy
- Appendix 1. Participant Handouts for Classes and Small Groups
- Appendix 2. The Route of the Exodus
- Appendix 3. References to Moses in the New Testament
- Graphics and Maps of the Exodus and Tabernacle
- Paintings of Moses and the Exodus, featuring James J. Tissot
Here's how we'll study together.
. Then you'll
read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- If you sign up for the daily questions version, on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use these lessons to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. Each of them is pretty intensive. Also, please don't sign up for your friends; let them decide for themselves.
between the spiritual and the practical." - Charles Richmond
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 1985-2017, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- The Glorious Kingdom
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ