1 & 2 Thessalonians
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Year of St. Paul
Sermon on the Mount: The Jesus Manifesto (Matthew 5 - 7)
James J. Tissot, "Jesus Preaches the Sermon on the Mount" (1886-1896), watercolor. Larger image.
Manifesto: "a written statement declaring publicly the intentions, motives, or views of its issuer."
A manifesto is where you put it all out there for people to grasp, ponder, and ultimately understand. In all the New Testament, the Sermon on the Mount as found in Matthew 5-7 is probably the most concise, definitive statement of Jesus' teachings, clearly contrasting his declaration of the Kingdom of God and how it differed radically from what passed for religion in his day -- and ours! Be prepared to be shocked and challenged by this study -- and ultimately grow as a committed follower, a disciple of this Jesus.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to sign up.
- Preface (Audio (6:58)
- Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount (Audio (19:34)
- Introduction to the Religion of the Pharisees (Audio (8:51)
- Paintings and Artwork of Jesus Teaching Ministry
- Songs and Hymns Based on the Sermon on the Mount
- Participant Lesson Handouts (for classes and groups)
I. Kingdom Citizens (5:1-16)
- Paradoxical People: the Beatitudes (5:1-13).
II. The Kingdom and the Spirit of the Law (5:17-48)
- The Spirit of the Law and Reconciliation (5:17-26).
III. Piety in the Kingdom (6:1-18).
- Giving, Prayer, and Fasting (6:1-8, 16-18).
Sermon on the Mount: The Jesus Manifesto is available in paperback and ebook formats
IV. Materialism and the Kingdom (6:19-34)
- Temptation to Idolatry (6:19-24). It is possible to be possessed by getting ahead -- or greed. Americans, especially, are blind to this bondage. What would Jesus have us do?
- Temptation to Worry (6:25-34). If we aren't hoarding wealth, we can still be controlled by our worry about lack of possessions. Jesus' prescription for the poor.
V. Discernment in the Kingdom (7:1-29)
- Judging Self and Others (7:1-6). "Judge not" is one of the most abused texts in the Bible. What did Jesus really mean?
- Asking in Faith (7:7-12). Important lessons on praying with faith. Jesus' instruction for powerful disciples.
- Discerning the True Way (7:13-29). All roads do not lead to heaven -- most lead to destruction. The Sermon concludes with warnings about obedient living and adequate life foundations.
I invite you to journey with me and thousands of brothers and sisters world-wide through a study of Jesus' remarkable Sermon on the Mount. Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Why don't you sign up today -- and then encourage some of your friends to sign up and study along with you.
|As of January 24, 2008, we've had more than 2,819 sign-ups from over 102 countries, including Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Faroe Islands, Fiji, France, Germany, Ghana, Guatemala, Guernsey, Guyana, HongKong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea (Republic of), Kuwait, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Lithuania, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia (Federal States of), Mongolia, Montserrat, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yugoslavia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. 16% specify text format, 84% HTML format. 36% selected the weekly format, 64% the daily format.|
If you sign up by Thursday night,
you'll receive your first lesson this coming Friday. There is no cost to
participate in the study, though
donations are encouraged so we can create more
studies and reach more people. We respect your
privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please
don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. Each of them is pretty intensive. Also, please don't sign up for your friends; let them decide for themselves.
|One big favor you can do for me: Please link to this Bible study in your online bookmarks, blog, personal webpage, ministry or church website, as follows: Sermon on the Mount Bible Study www.jesuswalk.com/manifesto/ The number of people who will find this on the Internet is directly related to the number of links you and other place. If you can't link, that's okay, too. I understand. It would be a big help if you would place a bookmark on your favorite online system. Please do this right now before you forget. Thanks. Pastor Ralph|
Copyright © 1985-2013, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
Other Bible Study Books
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ