Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
A 4-week Advent Bible study series
Print this Page
Gerard (Gerrit) van Honthorst (1590-1656), Adoration of the Children (1620), Uffizi Gallery, Florence. Italy. Larger image.
This four-week series is designed to help Christians reconnect with the real meaning of Christmas by considering one-by-one the main characters of the Christmas story:
- The Shepherds
- The Wise Men
Each was a disciple of Jesus -- St. Mary, the first disciple, followed by each of the others who recognized this newborn as the Messiah and reordered their lives around Him as a result.
This is an old story -- one you've heard in countless sermons. But reexamining it in thoughtful detail from Scripture will help you re-experience its power and truth.
Available in e-book, printed book, DVD formats
Christmas, of course, is not at its core about spiced cider, gaily-wrapped presents, and shining ornaments. It is about the incarnation, the in-fleshment of the Son of God as a human being. This story did not take place in a decorated villa of Nazareth or a sterilized stable in Bethlehem. The story unfolded among real people whom God called for a purpose beyond themselves -- and who responded, "Yes," when called. It is a story of discipleship and risk. Of faith and hope. Of intimate, caring love and bold never-to-turn-back decisions. The true story of Christmas has the power to re-ignite living faith in you and deepen the quality of your discipleship.
You can participate in this study in several ways:
- Sign up for the interactive online Bible study below at absolutely no charge.
- Print out the Participant Handouts free for class or small group members.
- Purchase the e-book or paperback version of this study.
- Purchase a set of 5 or 10 booklets for use in a class or small group.
- Obtain the DVD with Dr. Wilson teaching the four lessons in 20- to 25-minute sessions, with pauses for group discussion.
Why don't you sign up right now for the online Bible study, so you can receive the first lesson via e-mail this coming Friday. Reprint information.
Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
"Excellent way to 'slow down' during Advent season
and to prepare your heart to welcome the King." - Charlotte Flowers
Why don't you sign up today -- and then encourage some of your friends to sign up and study along with you.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 1985-2014, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
Other Bible Study Books
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ