Disciple's Guide to the Holy Spirit
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Gideon: Discipleship Lessons from the Bronze Age
A 77-page Bible study in 4 lessons
One of the more poignant moments in Scripture is the scene where an angel appears to Gideon, who is hiding from the Amalekite oppressors, and greets him with the words, “The LORD is with you, mighty warrior!” (Judges 6:12).
Who? Me? Who is the angel talking about? Gideon sees himself as the opposite of a mighty warrior. He comes from a humble clan, and is considered in his family the least likely to succeed. But God sees him differently. God sees Gideon as he will become in the Lord – the way he sees you and me.
The story of Gideon recounts the miracle working power of God to reverse a national tragedy. But it is a personal story, too, a story of emerging faith, of great courage, and of decisive leadership – as well as a story of human betrayal, weakness, and failure. In the process of studying the life this Bronze Age leader in Judges 6 to 8, we examine spiritual lessons common to disciples in all ages:
- Learning to trust God, especially when you feel weak and inadequate,
- Taking unpopular, but necessary stands,
- Finding guidance from God to make difficult decisions about your future,
- Experiencing the presence of the Holy Spirit to empower you,
- Obeying even when you don’t understand God’s plan,
- Keeping focused on the mission when distractions come, and
- Leaving a spiritual legacy for those who follow you.
Even if you don’t understand much about the Old Testament, you’ll learn a lot in this four-week study. You’ll find your commitment strengthened and your faith growing. God will use this study to prepare you for things that lie ahead of you.
This volume explores Gideon in 4 lessons. A carefully linked table of contents and hyperlinked endnotes/footnotes give the reader quick access throughout the book. Thought-provoking discussion questions make it a useful tool for personal enrichment, small groups, and classes. Extensive endnotes/footnotes assist teachers and preachers with background research for sermon preparation.
May God richly bless you as you begin to dig into the life of Gideon and pull out spiritual gold that will endure.
Abbreviated Table of Contents
|Table of Contents||3|
|Introduction to Gideon and the Period of the Judges||8|
|1. The Lord Is With You, Mighty Warrior (Judges 6:1-32)||13|
|2. Gideon's Incredible Shrinking Army (Judges 6:33-7:15a)||23|
|3. The Sword of the Lord (Judges 7:15-8:21)||34|
|4. Gideon's Tragic Mistake (Judges 8:22-35)||43|
|Appendix 1. Canaanite Religions and Baal Worship||52|
|Appendix 2. Weapons in the Late Bronze Age||57|
|Appendix 3. Handouts for Group Participants||60|
Handouts for Group Participants can be printed free.
Order the book. It will enrich your thoughts, your prayers, your worship, and your life -- as well as provide a rich study for your class or small group, or the basis of a sermon series.
E-Books differ from Printed Books
If you don't already have Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, you can download a FREE copy here
- Privacy protection against identity theft.
- About the Author
- Statement of Faith
- Copying Policy
- How does an "E-book" differ from a Printed Book?
- Shipping Costs and Policies
- Guarantee and Refund Policy
You can purchase this 77-page book in e-book format.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- Disciple's Guide to the Holy Spirit
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ