Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Disciple Lessons from Philippians
I hope you'll join me in this Bible study. I've been a pastor for the last 30 years, and since 1996 I've been conducting Internet Bible studies. Today I find great joy in teaching people all over the world from every denomination and faith tradition -- even those with no faith background at all. You're welcome to learn more about me and what I believe, if you like. -- Dr. Ralph F. Wilson, Director|
Whenever I read Philippians I am inspired, warmed, challenged, and encourage. It's an upbeat letter, full of joy and rejoicing. But the lessons of faith and discipleship it teaches are not just feel-goods. They are deep, enduring perspectives on how to face problems, stress, and struggle and grow through them, rather than wilting under the pressure. Philippians is powerful stuff!
I invite you to study the Letter of Philippians with me over the next 9 weeks. Here's how we'll study together.
Available in PDF, Kindle, and paperback formats
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly for over these 8 weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- On Fridays I'll e-mail you the link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Here's the outline:
- Introduction to Philippians
- Reprint Guidelines
- Text of Paul's Letter to the Philippians
- Text of the Nicene Creed
- Artwork of St. Paul the Apostle
- Pictures of Philippi
- Approve What Is Excellent (1:1-11). Partnership in the gospel, choices
- For Me to Live is Christ (1:12-30). The witness of imprisonment. Purpose for living.
- He Emptied Himself (2:1-11). Humility and exaltation. A study in who Jesus is, and the nature of the incarnation.
- God Is at Work in You (2:12-18). The dynamics of salvation: our part and God's part.
- Christian Character: Timothy and Epaphroditus (2:19-30). Character of Christian workers.
- That I May Know Him (3:1-11). What it means to "know" God.
- Pressing Toward the Goal (3:12-4:1). The urgency of God's call, citizenship in heaven.
- Rejoice in the Lord Always (4:1-9). Dealing with worry and stress
- A Partnership in Giving and Receiving (4:10-23). Learning contentment in Christ, stewardship
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 1985-2014, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ