Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Sermon on the Mount
Disciple Lessons from Philippians
I hope you'll join me in this Bible study, first written in 2005. I've been a pastor for
over 40 years, and since 1996 I've been conducting Internet Bible studies. Today I find great joy in teaching people all over the world from every denomination and faith tradition -- even those with no faith background at all. You're welcome to learn more about me and what I believe, if you like. -- Dr. Ralph F. Wilson, Director|
Whenever I read Philippians I am inspired, warmed, challenged, and encourage. It's an upbeat letter, full of joy and rejoicing. But the lessons of faith and discipleship it teaches are not just feel-goods. They are deep, enduring perspectives on how to face problems, stress, and struggle and grow through them, rather than wilting under the pressure. Philippians is powerful stuff!
I invite you to study the Letter of Philippians with me over the next 9 weeks. Here's how we'll study together.
Available in PDF, Kindle, and paperback formats
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better. The lesson includes both the lesson and the questions. Each lesson also contains a link to an audio version of the lesson.
you're signed up the "daily questions," you'll not only receive the
questions with the lesson on Saturday, but on on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly for over these
9 weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questionsusing the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Here's the outline:
- Approve What Is Excellent (1:1-11). Partnership in the gospel, choices
- For Me to Live is Christ (1:12-30). The witness of imprisonment. Purpose for living.
- He Emptied Himself (2:1-11). Humility and exaltation. A study in who Jesus is, and the nature of the incarnation.
- God Is at Work in You (2:12-18). The dynamics of salvation: our part and God's part.
- Christian Character: Timothy and Epaphroditus (2:19-30). Character of Christian workers.
- That I May Know Him (3:1-11). What it means to "know" God.
- Pressing Toward the Goal (3:12-4:1). The urgency of God's call, citizenship in heaven.
- Rejoice in the Lord Always (4:1-9). Dealing with worry and stress
- A Partnership in Giving and Receiving (4:10-23). Learning contentment in Christ, stewardship
Copyright © 1985-2016, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ