28 Advent Scriptures
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Acts 1-12: The Early Church
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Early Church: Acts1-12
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-135)
Names and Titles of Jesus
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
A Discipleship Study
Philip Handel (1931-2009), "The Good Shepherd," St. John the Baptist Anglican Church, Ashfield, New South Wales.
I love Jesus as a Person, as my Lord and Friend. He's the "historical Jesus," yes, a human as he appeared on earth and walked the dusty roads of Galilee. But he is much more.
- He was with God at the beginning.
- All things were made through him.
- He is the Redeemer of mankind,
- the Shepherd of souls.
- He is the One by whom all will be judged.
- And he is the Coming Messiah who will wrap up the world and make it a place where, once more, righteousness dwells.
- He is God the Son.
I'd like to explore with you the various facets of Jesus' person, life, and mission. One way to do this is by carefully studying the Gospels and Epistles. But another way is to approach it topically -- by Jesus' names, titles, descriptors and the metaphors.
In this study I'll try to mention all these names, titles, descriptors, and metaphors at least once . But I'll concentrate on the ones most used in Holy Scripture. If you understand Jesus in these chief names and titles, then the seldom-used, but precious names will be icing on the cake for you.
What we're about to commence on is actually "theology," the study of God. (I did this in relation to God the Father in my study on Names and Titles of God (JesusWalk, 2010). But as the present study focuses on Jesus, a more precise word is "Christology," the study of Jesus Messiah and his various offices.
Of course there'll be some overlap and repetition, since these names and themes are interwoven, with several often mentioned in the same passage. But that's fine. We're going swimming together, and though we'll try to keep the study organized, the most important thing is to enjoy the water.
Also in paperback, PDF, and Kindle
I don't want this to be a merely academic survey. My goal during this study is to help you enter into a deeper relationship with Jesus. I'll suggest songs for you to worship him with, and prayers to pray. I'll suggest some weekly exercises to help you know Him in these various ways. So by the end of our 10-week study, you'll not only know more about Jesus, but actually know Him better experientially. Here is the plan for our study:
- Jesus the Nazarene Carpenter's Son
- Jesus our Rabbi, Teacher, Prophet, and Word,
- Jesus the Son of Man
- Jesus the Messiah, Christ, and Son of David
- Jesus our Lord, the Divine Son of God
- Jesus the Lamb of God, Holy and Righteous One
- Jesus our Savior, Shepherd, and Redeemer
- Jesus our Head, Cornerstone, and Way
- Jesus our Light, Life, Bread, and Bridegroom
- Jesus the Risen King of Glory
I look forward to studying with you as we explore and revel in a study of Jesus Christ our Lord.
I encourage you to sign up for this study that will begin the Friday after you sign up. Sign up now so you don't forget -- and invite your friends to do the same.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better. The weekly lesson includes all the discussion questions for the week.
- If you sign up for the daily questions version, on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use these lessons to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
If you plan to use this study as the basis of a class or small group, feel free to download the free participant handout guides, which you can reprint free for each member of the group. Comprehensive List of Names.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Apostle Paul
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)