Apostle Paul: Passionate Discipleship
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Disciple Lessons from Ephesians
Print this Page
Rembrandt, "St. Paul in Prison" (1627), oil on wood, 72.8 x 60.2 cm., Stuttgart, Staatsgalerie. Larger image. His body may be in prison, but you can see in his face a contemplatioin of the heavenly realms that he opens for us in Ephesians 1.
The second half turns from doctrine to application. He spells out what unity looks like and how gifted ministry functions in the church body. Paul's condemnation of sinful attachments is matched by his conviction that the power of Christ can free us to become like "light in the Lord." He paints a portrait of a loving Christian marriage between believing spouses, and compares it to Christ and his Church. This prison epistle concludes with a challenge to "put on the whole armor of God" and to struggle in prayer for victory. All in all, it is an uplifting, glorious epistle, indeed!
I invite you to journey with me and thousands of brothers and sisters world-wide through St. Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians.
Here's how we'll study together. We'll study the letter in two parts, 8 weeks for chapters 1-3, a several weeks break (November and December for the first "wave" of participants) and then 8 weeks for chapters 4-6 (with a couple of planned breaks in each segment).
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly for over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Here's an outline of the study:
Introduction to Ephesians
NIV Text of Ephesians
References and Abbreviations
Essay: Headship (kephalē) and Submission (hupotassomai) in Ephesians 5:21-33
Text of Ephesians (New International Version)
Participant Guide Handout Sheets (may be be reprinted free)
Artwork on the Apostle Paul
Photos of Ephesians
Ancient Christian Symbols
Part 1. Doctrine
- Spiritual Blessings in Christ (1:1-6)
- God's Gracious Plan of Redemption (1:7-14)
- The Greatness of Our Christian Inheritance (1:15-23)
- From Deadness in Sin to Coming Alive in Christ (2:1-7)
- Salvation by Grace through Faith (2:8-10)
Scheduled one-week break
- Fellow Citizens with the People of God (2:11-22)
- The Mystery, Mission, and Ministry of the Church (3:1-13)
- Paul's Prayer and Doxology (3:14-21)
two week planned break
All the lessons are now available as an e-book or printed book for your convenience.
Part 2. Application
- One Body -- Unity and Diversity (4:1-10)
- Preparation, Ministry, and Maturity (4:11-16)
- Putting on Clean Clothes (4:17-32)
- Imitate Your Father, Children (5:1-20)
Scheduled one-week break
- Christian Husbands and Christian Wives (5:21-33)
- Children and Parents, Employers and Employees (6:1-9)
- Wrestling with the Enemy of Our Souls (6:10-18)
- Prevailing through Prayer (6:18-24)
If you're planning to use this material in a small group study and want to operate on a faster schedule, the e-book and printed version of the entire 16-week study should be available by October 2006 for your use. As you are waiting for the study to commence, I encourage you to begin reading Ephesians in your own private devotions. Try to read it completely through in one sitting. Then read it chapter by chapter as you begin to absorb what God is saying to you in this wonderful book.
|As of March 22, 2007, we've had 2,609 sign-ups from more than 106 countries, including: Andorra, United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Albania, Antarctica, Argentina, Australia, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Barbados, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bahrain, Brazil, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Canada, Switzerland, Cote D'Ivoire, Chile, Cameroon, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cape Verde, Denmark, Dominica, Algeria, Egypt, Eritrea, Spain, Ethiopia, Fiji, Micronesia (Federal States of), France, Ghana, Guatemala, Guyana, HongKong, Croatia/Hrvatska, Indonesia, Ireland, India, Italy, Jersey, Jamaica, Jordan, Japan, Kenya, Korea (Democratic People's Republic of), Korea (Republic of), Kuwait, Cayman Islands, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Saint Lucia, Liechtenstein, Liberia, Myanmar, Macau, Mauritania, Montserrat, Malta, Mauritius, Malawi, Mexico, Malaysia, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Nicaragua, Netherlands, New Zealand, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Puerto Rico, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, Sudan, Sweden, Singapore, Slovakia (Slovak Republic), Sierra Leone, Turks and Ciacos Islands, Chad, Thailand, East Timor, Trinidad and Tobago, Tanzania, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, Yemen, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe 23% specify text format, 77% HTML format. 25% selected the weekly format, 75% the daily format.|
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- Disciple's Guide to the Holy Spirit
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ