Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Christ Powered Life
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Print this Page
Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor, 1931) opens his arms in blessing in this 100 ft. statue on a 20 ft. pedestal, atop the 2,300-foot peak of Corcovado Mountain overlooking Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Designed by Paul Landoviski (French-Polish monumental sculptor, 1875-1961) and built by engineer Heitor da Silva Costa. Larger image.
How do you live a Christ powered life? How can you mature as a Christian? How do you get victory in your struggle with sin? It is hopeless?
By no means! Christ's Spirit makes the difference. Though the Christian life is sometimes hard, in a Christ-centered life there is a place of victory over sin. It comes through faith as well as an understanding of who we are in Christ and how the Christian life is supposed to work. In this free 8-lesson online Bible study, Pastor Ralph takes you through some of the most powerful chapters on Christian living found in the Bible -- Romans 5-8, the golden core of Paul's magnum opus, his Letter to the Romans.
Is this passage difficult to understand? Yes. You'll be stretched. Your conceptual world will have to expand. But you'll find that the time you spend in studying Romans 5-8 will pay rich rewards, for it will move you closer to a Spirit-filled life that you will enjoy in spite of the struggles you experience.
Here's how we'll examine this passage:
Introduction to Romans 5-8
- We Now Have Peace with God (5:1-11). God has gone to great expense to reconcile us to him.
- United to Christ, the Second Adam (5:12-6:5).
- United with Christ, Free from Sin's Slavery (6:1-11). Christ's death weakens our sinful nature so that we can have victory over sin. Includes an excursus on baptism by immersion.
- Slaves to Righteousness Rather Than to Sin (6:12–23). Sin is no longer our master, Christ is!
- Struggling with Sin in Our Own Strength (7:1–25). Our flesh or sinful nature is no match for sin's power -- even with the insight of the law.
- Learning to Walk by the Spirit (8:1-17). Only when we are led and empowered by the Spirit can we be free from sin's dominion.
- Revealing the Children of God in Future Glory (8:15-28). The Spirit testifies that we are sons of God who will be fully revealed at the Resurrection.
- We Are More than Conquerors through Christ (8:28-39). God is determined to see us through to the end!
References and Abbreviations
Big Concepts in Romans 5-8
Songs and Hymns based on Romans 5-8
Participant Handouts for Groups and Classes
Artwork Depicting St. Paul the Apostle
I invite you to journey with me and thousands of brothers and sisters world-wide through a study of the Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8). Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use these lessons to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
|"I already have recommended this study to everyone I know." Kurtis Slagle
"This study has opened my eyes to the peace we can experience viewing ourselves as more than conquerors in Christ." -- Lori A. Sharp
"Opened my heart and mind to the possibilities of having a Christ-powered life.... This cannot be taught, as much as it can be told by someone who is translating it from experience in a Spirit-led life." -- Shane Hampton
"Helped me get into the meat of the word. I am past the milk stage."
"The questions in the study force you to get into the word. I like that." -- John Delly
"Awesome study. Easy to read and understand. Pulls out many nuggets of gold to use in your daily walk with Christ." -- Dan Tharpe
"You will never be the same again.... It's a treasure trove to mine so take your time." -- Rosie Jay
"Deep enough to stretch my thinking. Some of the questions are really thought provoking." -- Ilene Luna
"The questions are heart searching." – Eudora
"Informative while also making the learner think for himself and answer some provoking questions." -- Brad Gingham
"One of the most personal studies I have done.... It will change and remap your spiritual thinking and footsteps in your walk with Christ and fellow believers." -- Cindy Johnson
"Touched my heart deeply." -- Nadine Thompson
"Definitely a heart-opening experience." -- Scott Thompson
"Very uplifting and encouraging." -- Charles Thompson
"Clear guidance ... provoking thought around the issues raised... Clarity around some difficult concepts." -- Richard Ventresca
"I have been strengthened tremendously by this study. It has unlocked the
secret of victorious Christian living which ought to be normal Christian
living." -- Siby Daniel
The study is available as an e-book
Why don't you sign up right now -- and then encourage some of your friends to sign up and study along with you.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 1985-2014, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ