Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Philippians: Discipleship Lessons
A 138-page book by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Exposition and Bible Study in 9 lessons
Philippians is Paul’s epistle of joy and passion.
For an epistle of only 104 verses – four brief chapters – Paul’s Letter to the Philippians is amazingly profound. At one level, it is a poignant epistle from a jailed apostle to a beloved supporting church. At another, it contains an exhilarating hymn of Christ’s humility and exaltation, and offers a glimpse into Paul’s intense passion to know Christ.
From the standpoint of material to develop discipleship, Philippians is rich. Paul:
- Models how to bear suffering without self-pity,
- Describes the immediacy of Christ’s presence at death,
- Offers one of the most important Christological passages in the Bible,
- Urges us to live holy lives to shine like stars in a dark world,
- Presses us towards the goal of fulfilling God’s call in our lives,
- Teaches us how to rejoice, how to pray, how to find peace, and
- Explains why we can trust God to meet our every need with abundance.
Philippians is inspiring, warming, challenging, encouraging. It’s an upbeat letter, full of joy and rejoicing. But the lessons of faith and discipleship it teaches are not just “feel-goods.” They are deep, enduring perspectives on how to face problems, stress, and struggle – and grow through them, rather than wilting under the pressure. Philippians is powerful stuff!
This volume explores Philippians in nine lessons. Thought-provoking discussion questions make it a useful tool for personal enrichment, small groups, and classes. Extensive footnotes assist teachers and preachers with background research for sermon preparation.
Here's the basic table of contents:
|Table of Contents||4|
|Abbreviations and References||9|
|Introduction to Philippians||11|
|1. Approve What Is Excellent (1:1-11)||20|
|2. Struggles that Advance the Gospel (1:12-30)||30|
|3. He Emptied Himself (2:1-11)||44|
|4. God Is at Work in You (2:12-18)||60|
|5. Christian Character: Timothy and Epaphroditus (2:19-30)||69|
|6. That I May Know Him (3:1-11)||79|
|7. Pressing Toward the Goal (3:12-4:1)||92|
|8. Rejoice in the Lord Always (4:1-9)||104|
|9. A Partnership in Giving and Receiving (4:10-23)||115|
|Appendix 1. The Nicene Creed||126|
|Appendix 2: Participant Handouts for Classes and Groups||127|
|Appendix 3. Other Philippians Resources||137|
- Detailed Table of Contents
E-Books differ from Printed Books
If you don't already have Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, you can download a FREE copy here
- Privacy protection against identity theft.
- About the Author
- Statement of Faith
- Copying Policy
- How does an "E-book" differ from a Printed Book?
- Paperback Shipping
- Guarantee and Refund Policy
You can purchase this 138-page book either as an e-book or a printed book.
Copyright © 1985-2015, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ