Apostle Paul: Passionate Discipleship
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
from a Troubled Church
Please share this webpage on Facebook or bookmark the site using the buttons above. Thanks!
Eduard Burne-Jones, detail of Apostle Paul (1881-1898), mosaic, the Apse of St Paul's within the Walls (American Episcopal Church), Rome. Larger image.
What was the most troubled church plant in Paul's ministry? It could very well be the Church at Corinth, planted in the midst of a city known for its immorality and pagan temples. If you were to make a list of the church's problems, it wouldn't be short.
The wonderful thing is, that from Paul's response to the problems of this troubled church you and I learn a great deal! 1 Corinthians is indeed one of the foundational letters in the New Testament. We neglect it at our peril.
I encourage you to sign up for this 15-week study that will begin on this coming Friday. Here's the tentative outline of our study together:
References and Abbreviations
|Introduction to 1 Corinthians|
|I. Healing a Divided Church (1 Corinthians 1-4)|
|1. Healing Church Divisions (1:1-17a)|
|2. Human vs. Spiritual Wisdom (1:17b-2:16)|
|3. Building a Healthy Church on Christ's Foundation (3:1-23)|
|4. The Struggles and Joys of Christian Leaders (4:1-21)|
|II. A Christian View of Sex and Marriage (5:1-7:40)|
|5. Confronting Immorality in a Cleansed Church (5:1-13)|
|6. An Exhortation against Sexual Sin (6:1-18)|
|7. Marriage and Divorce at the End of the Age (7:1-40)|
|III. Idolatry and Christian Freedom (8:1-10:33)|
|8. The Case for Spiritual Purity (chapters 8 and 10)|
|9. Understanding a Leader's Passion (9:1-27)|
|IV. Public Worship and Its Worthy Conduct (11-14)|
|10. Worship and Communion in the Early Church (11:1-34)|
|11. Diverse and Unifying Gifts in the Church (12:1-31)|
|12. Love -- A More Excellent Way (13:1-13)|
|Excursus on the Meaning of "That Which Is Perfect" (13:10)|
|13. Prophecy and Ministry by the Holy Spirit (14:1-39)|
|V. The Resurrection and Conclusion (15-16)|
|14. Resurrection and the Coming of Christ (15:1-58)|
|15. Giving and Personal Matters (16:1-24)|
|Appendix 1. Participant Handout Guides|
|Appendix 2. The Author's Personal Experience|
|Appendix 3. Tentative Chronology of Paul and the Corinthians (50-56 AD)|
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- If you sign up for the daily questions version, on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use these lessons to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
Available as a book in paperback, PDF, and Kindle formats.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
As of February 17, 2014, we had 2,352 subscribers
from more than 83 countries:
United Arab Emirates, Antigua and Barbuda, Netherlands Antilles, Angola, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Barbados, Belgium, Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Brazil, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Canada, Switzerland, China, Costa Rica, Denmark, Algeria, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Finland, Fiji, France, Ghana, Hong Kong, Haiti, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, India, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Cambodia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Kuwait, Saint Lucia, Sri Lanka, Liberia, Myanmar, Malta, Mauritius, Malawi, Mexico, Malaysia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Poland, Puerto Rico, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Singapore, Slovenia, Sierra Leone, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Turkey, Trinidad and Tobago, Taiwan, Tanzania, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, Virgin Islands (U.S.), South Africa, Zambia, Zaire, Zimbabwe.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- Disciple's Guide to the Holy Spirit
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ