Jesus' Parables for Disciples
Appendix 3. Bibliographyby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
There have been many books written on this subject over the years. These are brief notes on some I'm familiar with.
Blackaby, Henry and Richard, Hearing God's Voice (B&H Publishing, 2002). Among other things, a practical guide to how to discern God's voice from others. Well done.
Deere, Jack, Surprised by the Voice of God (Zondervan, 1996). Written by former Dallas Theological Seminary professor who learned that God does actually speak today. In this excellent work, he carefully develops the texts in the Bible, against "cessationists" who tend to be uncomfortable with the voice of God in our day as a threat to the sufficiency of Scripture.
Eldredge, John, Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really (Thomas Nelson, 2008). A personal narrative day by day of how it works to listen and walk with God. Not a comprehensive look, but an example of how it might work.
Jacobs, Cindy, The Voice of God: How God Speaks Personally and Corporately to His Children Today (Regal, 1995), forward by Jack Hayford. This book is primarily on the gifts of prophecy and the word of knowledge, not specifically on an individual hearing God's voice for oneself and one's own ministry.
Willard, Dallas, Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship with God (InterVarsity, 1984, 1989, 1999), previously published under the title, In Search of Guidance. An excellent treatment by a USC professor of philosophy who defines, asks hard questions, and points to Scripture and his own experience and that of others.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.Old Testament
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus