Jesus' Parables for Disciples
Edward Burne-Jones, 'Good Shepherd' stained glass window (1895), Harris Manchester College, Oxford.
Here are the "I AM" passages found in John that include a predicate:
- "I am the bread of life" (6:35, 48, 51).
- "I am the light of the world (8:12, cf. 9:5).
- "I am the gate for the sheep" (10:7, 9).
- "I am the good shepherd" (10:11, 14).
- "I am the resurrection and the life" (11:25).
- "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (14:6).
- "I am the vine" (15:1, 5)
Elsewhere in John we see "I am" in clauses structured a bit differently.
- "I am [he]" -- Jesus of Nazareth (18:5, 6).
- "I am [he]" (8:24) -- unless you believe you'll die in your sins.
- "I am [he]" (8:28) -- the Son of Man.
- "Before Abraham was, I am!" (8:58).
- "I am he" (13:19) -- the one referred to in Psalm 41:9.
Entire study is available in paperback, Kindle, and PDF formats.
In the Garden of Gethsemane, when the soldiers come looking for Jesus of Nazareth, he answers, "I am" (egō eimi) (18:5-6, 8).
It is no coincidence that John emphasizes Jesus' "I AM" statements. He wants his readers to believe in Jesus as the Son of God and have eternal life (20:31).
 There are more verses in John translated, "I am," but in most cases they don't include the pronoun egō, which can be implied by the verb eimi itself, since in Greek the distinctive inflection of the verb tells us gender, tense, and voice. When the pronoun appears with the verb, it is emphatic -- there to make a point.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus