Jesus' Parables for Disciples
Good Shepherd, stained glass window at All Saints Church, Alburgh, Norfolk, UK, by Powell of London (1872). Photo © by Simon Knott. Used by permission.
I love John's Gospel, and I hope that you will love it too! St. Augustine once said about the Gospel of John, that,
"It is shallow enough for a child not to drown, yet deep enough for an elephant to swim in it."
The most memorized verse in the New Testament is found in the Fourth Gospel:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16, ESV)
Some of the greatest truths of the Christian faith are taught in the Fourth Gospel, perhaps more than in any New Testament book. For example:
- Jesus Christ is the only-begotten, fully divine, Son of God;
- The Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, guides, teaches, and empowers us to carry on Jesus' miraculous ministry;
- The Father loves us as He does Jesus;
- Eternal life vs. the wrath of God;
- And much more....
John shares some of the same incidents that we find in Matthew, Mark, and Luke (the Synoptic Gospels) and offers his own insightful perspective from the point of view of one close to Jesus, a perspective that helps us understand the deeper significance of these events. But John's Gospel also contains a lot of material not found in the other Gospels:
... and much, much more.
I'm sure you've read the Gospel of John before -- perhaps many times -- but with these lessons I've prepared, I hope this time we can study it with special depth and mine its riches for ourselves -- you and I together. It is a long study. John's Gospel itself spans 22 chapters of rich material. My focus will be on how we can learn to be better disciples and walk more closely with Jesus.
I look forward to studying John's Gospel with you.
Yours in Christ,
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus