Jesus' Parables for Disciples
Preface to Galatiansby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
It's amazing how many so-called Christians don't really "get it." They think that the basis of Christianity is living a good moral life and doing good works. And, so long as you don't mess up your life entirely, you'll end up in heaven. And, oh yes, Jesus died for our sins, whatever that means.
Paul's Letter to the Galatians deals with this kind of shallow understanding head-on. He had won the Galatians to Christ, and then taught them more about Christ on his subsequent missions.
But now Paul hears that some Jewish-Christians have come to the churches and begun to convince these Gentile believers that they can't be saved unless they're circumcised and keep the Mosaic Law. What's more, these false teachers have undermined Paul's reputation. His ministry with these churches is in shambles. But what's even worse is that these new Christians are about to go backwards -- from faith in Christ to faith in law-keeping.
As you study Galatians, you'll begin to understand clearly what the core of the gospel is all about. Galatians, after all, helped Martin Luther come to the conviction that we are saved by faith alone. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, came into spiritual life ("my heart was strangely warmed") as he read Luther's preface to his commentary on Galatians.
Available in paperback and e-book formats
Galatians is also known for explaining what must substitute for the law -- learning to walk by the Spirit and bear the fruit of the Spirit.
It is my prayer that as you study this foundational letter, you'll be blessed and encouraged.
Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
January 20, 2012
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus