Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
1 and 2 Thessalonians
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Please share this webpage on Facebook or bookmark the site using the buttons above. Thanks!
Peter Paul Rubens, 'St. Paul" (1611)
Sign up below for this exciting and free 9-week e-mail Bible study!
The new church at Thessalonica is under fierce attack. Opposing Jewish leaders have caused a riot and driven the church-planting team out of town. But amazingly, against all odds, the new congregation begins to grow and attract converts from the pagan population of the city. What's more, it becomes a model congregation among the fledging Christian movement in the Mediterranean region.
1 and 2 Thessalonians, written about 50 AD, are the earliest documents in the New Testament. They reveal the Apostle Paul's heart and passion as he seeks to guide this congregation towards health and balance. In 1 and 2 Thessalonians you'll learn important truths about Christ's coming -- specifically regarding the rapture and the Antichrist. In fact, these letters are Paul's most detailed account of Christ's return. In addition, Paul explains:
- God's grace in selecting his children,
- The heart and character of a disciple-maker,
- How to deal with overly-dependent members,
- A high view of sexual purity, and
- Keys to a healthy Christian congregation.
This study covers the two letters in nine lessons. Each lesson contains 4 or 5 discussion questions to help you or a group you might be studying with come to grips with the letters' teaching and the implications of these for our lives. My prayer is that you grow stronger as disciples as a result of this intensive study of 1 and 2 Thessalonians.
- Introduction to 1 and 2 Thessalonians
- The Secret of Bountiful Believers (1 Thessalonians 1:1-10; Acts 17:1-10)
- The Character of a Disciple-Maker (2:1-16)
- The Warm Heart of a Disciple-maker (2:17-3:13)
- The Command and Blessing of Holy Sex (4:1-12)
- The Wonder and Warning of Christ's Return (4:13-5:11)
- Keys to a Healthy Christian Community (5:12-28)
- Awesome Judgment at Christ's Coming (2 Thessalonians 1:1-12)
- The Coming Antichrist (2:1-3:5)
- Warning against Idleness (3:6-18)
Now available in paperback, Kindle, and PDF formats
- Appendix 1. Can Heathen Who Have Never Heard the Gospel Be Saved?
- Appendix 2. How Can There Be a Hell Like the Bible Describes?
- References and Abbreviations
- Reprint Guidelines
- Map of Macedonia and the northern Mediterranean.
- Handouts for Group Participants. If you're using this study with a class or small group, here are some free handouts for each lesson.
Here's how we'll study together.
- If you sign up for the daily questions version, on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use these lessons to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions and exercises using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 1985-2014, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ