Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Resurrection and Easter Faith
a 5-week online Lenten Bible study
Print this Page
Piero della Francesca (1420-1492), "Resurrection" (1463-65), Mural in fresco and tempera, 225 x 200 cm, Pinacoteca Comunale, Sansepolcro. Larger image.
For many, Easter is a celebration of bright new dresses, Easter baskets, and jelly beans. But for Christians, Easter is our High Holy Day, the celebration of Jesus' resurrection from the dead. In this free five-week Lenten study we'll examine Christ's resurrection in detail as well as our own expectation of resurrection after this life. Here's how we'll approach this week by week:
Introduction. Why is the resurrection of Christ so important?
- The Promise of Resurrection from the Dead. An examination of the Old Testament expectation of the resurrection of the dead and Jesus' own teaching on resurrection in the context of the beliefs of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.
- The Gospel Accounts of Christ's Resurrection from the Dead. We examine the resurrection accounts in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
- Convincing Evidence of Christ's Bodily Resurrection. Christ's resurrection galvanized dazed followers into zealots who gave their lives preaching the resurrected Christ. What convinced them? Why do some Christians today soft-pedal the Bible's teaching of the physical resurrection? What proofs of Christ's resurrection should seekers consider?
- The Present-Day Significance of Christ's Resurrection. What is the relationship of Jesus' resurrection to our salvation? What does it have to do with our spiritual lives? An examination of the meaning of the resurrection.
Now all the lessons are also available together in e-book and printed book formats.
- Reprint Guidelines
- References and Abbreviations
- Paintings and Artwork of the Resurrection
- Parallel Accounts of the Resurrection
- Participant Handouts for Classes and Groups
- A Possible Harmonization of the Resurrection Accounts
- Resurrection and Easter Hymns and Songs
- Readers Theater based on John 20:1-18 (NIV)
I invite you to journey with me and thousands of brothers and sisters world-wide through a study of the Resurrection. As of April 7, 2007, we've had more than 1,836 sign-ups from more than 81 countries
Here's how we'll study together.
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly for over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
Why don't you sign up today -- and then encourage some of your friends to sign up and study along with you.
|, including: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Croatia/Hrvatska, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ethiopia, Fiji, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guernsey, Guyana, HongKong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Korea (Republic of), Kuwait, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Montserrat, Namibia, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Philippines, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Georgia and Sandwich Isl., Spain, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Ciacos Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Zambia, Zimbabwe. 18% specify text format, 82% HTML format. 29% selected the weekly format, 71% the daily format.|
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
Copyright © 1985-2015, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ