Listening for God's Voice
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
The Lord's Supper:
Eucharist and Communion Meditations for Disciples
Print this Page
Detail of "The Institution of the Eucharist" (1640) by French Baroque painter Nicholas Poussin (1594-1665), oil on canvas, Musée du Louvre, Paris. Larger image.
This won't be a doctrinal study, if you mean by doctrine that I'll give you several dogmatic propositions to believe. Nor will it be sectarian in nature. I know that sometimes Christians fight about the Lord's Supper. Shame on us! There isn't a argumentative spirit in this Bible study, but a spirit of love and peace and acceptance of our brothers and sisters. Instead of intellectual sparring, we have a hunger to experience more of Christ. If you want to fight, go elsewhere!
However, since "doctrine" really means "teaching," I will instruct you in what the Scriptures themselves teach. My goal -- both for my own soul and yours -- is to so illuminate the rich themes of communion so that the next time -- or 100 times -- you and I partake of the sacrament, we'll recall with joy and love what it really means.
So we're off on a spiritual adventure together, not unlike scuba diving. Communion, you see, is not a fixed doctrine, but a wonderful and holy mystery into which we immerse ourselves, as we explore and probe its depths. If you're a priest, pastor, or preacher, a deacon, elder, or lay leader, you'll find the makings of many sermons and communion meditations here. But my prayer for you is that you first feed your own soul on the heavenly bread so that you may be spiritually nourished to feed your people.
Available as e-book and paperback.
I invite you to come with me on a journey through time and spirit as we explore together the Lord's Supper. Here are the topics we'll look at week by week:
- Preface and Introduction to the Lord's Supper, Audio (10:34)
- References and Abbreviations
- Reprint Guidelines
- Artwork of the Lord's Supper and Last Supper
- Songs, Hymns and Choruses of the Lord's Supper, Communion, Eucharist
- Participant Handouts for classes and small groups (may be reprinted free)
- My Body, My Blood -- Literal or Figurative?
Excursus: A Brief History of the Doctrine of the Real Presence and Transubstantiation
- Remembering and Proclaiming Christ's Death (Luke 22:19; 1 Corinthians 11:24-26)
- Being Sharers in the Sacrifice (1 Corinthians 10:16, 18)
- My Body Given for You (Luke 22:19b)
- My Blood Poured Out for Many (Matthew 26:28)
- A New Covenant in My Blood (1 Corinthians 11:25)
- The Cup of Blessing and the One Loaf (1 Corinthians 10:16-17)
- Eating His Flesh, Drinking His Blood (John 6:53-57)
- The Lord's Supper and the Great Banquet (Luke 22:16, 18; Matthew 26:29)
- Preparing for the Lord's Supper (1 Corinthians 11:17-22, 27-34)
Here's how we'll study together over the next 11 weeks (with a couple of planned breaks):
- Each Saturday I'll e-mail you the lesson for the week . Then you'll read the Bible passage and use my notes to help you understand it better.
- On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , and maybe Thursday, you'll receive a question from that week's lesson to think about and answer. This is designed as a "total immersion" approach to Bible study, since I believe God wants to use it to work real and permanent change in your life. (You can opt out of the daily questions if you like, however, and just receive the weekly lessons.) You'll be thinking about these passages constantly for over these weeks -- long enough for God to work his Word into your life and lifestyle.
- You can respond to the questions using the Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum -- and read others' answers to reinforce your own understanding.
- With each lesson you'll receive a link to a 20- to 30-minute audio teaching that sums up the passage you've been studying that week. Some who learn better from hearing than from reading really appreciate this.
- Then on Saturday, I'll send you the next week's lesson.
|As of May 25, 2006, we've had 1,915 sign-ups from more than 83 countries, including: United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Albania, Netherlands Antilles, Angola, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Brazil, Bahamas, Botswana, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Germany, Algeria, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Spain, Ethiopia, Fiji, Micronesia (Federal States of), France, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, HongKong, Croatia/Hrvatska, Haiti, Indonesia, Ireland, India, Iceland, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Japan, Kenya, Korea (Republic of), Kuwait, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Liberia, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Myanmar, Malta, Maldives, Mexico, Malaysia, Namibia, Nigeria, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Puerto Rico, Paraguay, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Sudan, Sweden, Singapore, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Virgin Islands (British), South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. 15% specify text format, 85% HTML format. 35% selected the weekly format, 65% the daily format.|
Sign up now!
To sign up, start by clicking on your e-mail frequency preference:
You'll receive your first lesson the Friday after you sign up. There is no cost to participate in the study, though donations are encouraged so we can create more studies and reach more people.
We respect your privacy and never sell, rent, or loan our lists. Please don't subscribe your friends; let them decide for themselves.
Please don't sign up for more than one of my Bible studies at one time. There's no penalty, but each of them is pretty intensive. If you try to do too many studies at the same time without adequate reflection, you'll miss out on God speaking to you.
|One big favor you can do for me: Please link to this Bible study in your blog, personal webpage, ministry or church website, as follows: Lord's Supper: Eucharist and Communion Meditations for Disciples www.jesuswalk.com/lords-supper/ The number of people who will find this on the Internet is directly related to the number of links you and others place. If you can't link, that's okay, too. I understand.|
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- Listening for God's Voice
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild and Renew: Post Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ