Names and Titles of Jesus
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Sermon on the Mount
Lamb of God Agnus Dei Artwork and PaintingsCollected by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Part of JesusWalk -- Behold the Lamb of God
Ontario, Canada, church doorway, Behold the Lamb of God, mosaic with gilded sun above Lamb.
One of the few Christian symbols dating from the first century is that of the Good Shepherd carrying on His shoulders a lamb or a sheep, with two other sheep at his side. Between the first and the fourth century eighty-eight frescoes of this type were depicted in the Roman catacombs.
In the Agnus Dei symbol, the lamb was used to symbolize innocence and was also a sacrificial animal. the Agnus Dei, or Lamb of God, is an ancient symbol of Christ and His sacrifice. The cross stands for Christ's victory over sin and death. Biblical references include John 1:29 and Revelation 14. In ancient examples of the Agnus Dei may be seen lying upon the Book of Seven Seals or carrying the Banner of Victory. It must be crowned with a three-rayed nimbus or halo, signifying that it is a symbol of divinity. In other examples the Lamb stands upon a hill from which flow the Four Rivers of Paradise, signifying the Four Gospels.
In Christian symbolism, the lamb represents Jesus, "the lamb of God." Standing with a banner, the lamb represents the risen Christ triumphant over death. Standing with a cross and a gash in its side, it symbolizes the passion of Christ. Seated on a throne or a book, the lamb represents the judgment of Christ. Because the lamb is humble, gentle, and innocent, lambs are often engraved on the tombstones of children.
San Vitale, Ravenna (begun 532, consecrated 547A.D), Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) Detail of Central Medallion, large photo, detailed image.
Paintings of Lamb of God or Agnus Dei
- Drawing for the Agnus Dei, Giulio Romano, ink on paper c.1540
- Adoration of the Lamb, by Jan van Eyck (1432), oil on wood, Ghent altarpiece, Cathedral of St. Bavo, Ghent.
- Paul Myhill, Agnus Dei (contemporary painter)
- Early fresco, Swedish site.
- The Lamb of God in the heaven.ceiling of the vatican embassy in Sofia, Bulgaria
- Lamb of God, pencil drawing by Marybeth Stafford, contemporary artist.
- Overwhelming Love, painting by Marybeth Stafford, contemporary artist. Close-up of sinful woman anointing Jesus feet with perfume.
- Izumi Fukushima, Japanese-style painting artist, Romanesque Lamb of God. Contemporary painter.
Niko Pirosmani, God's Lamb, Oil on oil-cloth, 55x61 cm. The State Museum of Fine Arts of Georgia, Tbilisi.
Painting of the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) above the apse windows by Joseph Reiter. St. Vincent Bascilica Parish, Latrobe, PA.
Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Ireland, Saint Peter's Chapel, the Jellett window with Lamb of God, created by C.E. Kemp.
Francisco de Zurbaran, (Spanish painter, 1598-1664)
Francisco de Zurbaran (1598-1664), "Agnus Dei" (1635-40) ,Canvas 38 x 62 cm. Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid. Larger image.
- Agnus Dei (1638), bound lamb without horns, but with halo, 14 x 20 1/2 inches (35.6 x 52 cm).Oil on canvas, San Diego Museum of Art. Find in Artist index under Zurbaran.
Sculpture, carving of Lamb of God
- Ivory Plaque with Agnus Dei on a cross between emblems of the Four Evangelists, probably 9th century German or North Italian, Ivory; 9 1/4 x 5 3/8 in. (23.5 x 13.7 cm), Metropolitan Museum, New York
- Spanish Coin: 1/2 Blanca del Agnus Dei (vellón), 1379-1390
- Imaxes de Vedra, Santo André de Illobre, Agnus Dei na igrexa parroquial.
- Bronze Agnus Dei sculpture, unknown location.
- El Cordero de Dios (Agnus Dei), symbol over unknown cathedral entrance
- Cerreto di Spoleto, Umbia, Italy. Agnus Dei carved in rock.
- Lamb of God Bas-Relief, A stone bas-relief reproduced from an early Christian sarcophagus in Saint Apollainaire Church in Ravenna. The lamb, one of the earliest symbols of Christ, is heralded by the dove of the Holy Spirit carrying a wreath of victory. Hyrdostone with marble finish, 7" x 7"
- Templar 'Lamb of God' seal
- Maulbronn Monastery church Baden-Wuerttemberg, ceiling rib vault bosses (1424), Lamb of God.
- Sisters of the Lamb of God, wooden cross-shaped plaque. Les Servantes de l'Agneau de Dieu
- Carving of Agnus Dei, a Knights Templar symbol, by Andrew's Carvings, Andrew Howe, Scotland.
Piero della Francesca (1416-1492), Resurrection of Christ (1463-65), Mural in fresco and tempera, 225 x 200 cm, Pinacoteca Comunale, Sansepolcro
Painting of Scene with John the Baptist pointing to Jesus as the Lamb of God
Dieric Bouts d. Ä. (1410 - 1475),
"Ecce Agnus Dei", (1462/64), Holz, 53,8 x 41,2 cm
Erworben 1989 mit Unterstützung der Kulturstiftung der Länder.
Agnus Dei Stained Glass Windows
Tim McClure, Agnus Dei window
- Croydon, All Saints, Agnus Dei.
- Tim McClure, Agnus Dei, unknown location
- James Powell & Sons stained glass, Agnus Dei detail, at Holy Trinity church, Lomas de Zamora. They were designed by one of the firm's principal artists, Charles Hardgrave, and date from 1896.
- Les Vitraux II, stained glass Agnus Dei window with John the Baptist and a lamb.
- Jesus the Lamb of God, All Saints Episcopal Church, San Francisco, CA.
- Memorah and Lamb of God Windows at Immanuel Seymor
- The Lamb of God window, beside the Sacred Heart Altar, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Munich Studios stained glass, Wyandotte, Michigan
- Curtis Graphics, Lamb of God window
- Lamb on sacrificial altar window, unknown location.
- San Vitale, Ravenna (begun 532, consecrated 547A.D), Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) Detail of Central Medallion, large photo, detailed image.
- Ontario, Canada, church doorway, Behold the Lamb of God, mosaic with gilded sun above Lamb.
- Floor of Nativity of Mary Blessed Virgin Catholic Chruch, Schulenburg, Texas, Lamb of God.
- Tile Agnus Dei, at St. Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh.
Casket with the Lamb of God and a
Personification of the Church, French (Limoges)
About 1185-95, Champlevé enamel on copper, Width 15.4 cm x height 14.5 cm x depth 6.9 cm
- Banner, Lamb of God Lutheran Church, Everett, WA
- Lamb of God praise banner
- Mnemosyne MIA : ICONCLASS 11D1311 lamb bearing cross or banner, 'Agnus Dei' ~ symbol of Christ. Shows manuscript examples.
Copyright © 1985-2015, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ