Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Paintings and Art Depicting the Book of RevelationCollected by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
I've found a number of interesting depictions from the Book of Revelation from all artistic styles. You might want to use some of these to illustrate PowerPoint lessons on the Book of Revelation. This is part of a much larger study of Revelation: Disciple Lessons.
John on Patmos
Hans Memling (1440-1494), The Revelation of St. John (c. 1480), Hospital of St. John the Evangelist, Bruges. St. John Altarpiece (right wing). Shows John on Patmos seeing vision.
Hieronymus Bosch (1450-1516). St. John on Patmos (1504-5). Oil on oak panel, 63 x 43,3 cm, Staatliche Museen, Berlin.
- The New Jerusalem, 1897, Deutsche Verlagsanstalt, Stuttgart
"St. John at Patmos" (Revelation 1:9)
"The Vision of Death" (Revelation 6:7-8)
"The Crowned Virgin: A Vision of John" (Revelation 12:1-3)
"Babylon Fallen" (Revelation 18:2)
"The Last Judgment" (Revelation 20:12)
Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528), Apocalypse of St. John (1496-98), woodcuts, each 39x28 (15 x 11 ") Connecticut Colleges Wetmore Print Collection.
St. John in the Clouds, surrounded by 24 Elders around the Throne of God, Rev 4
Adoration of the Lamb. Rev 5
- The Sealing of the Hundred and Forty and Four Thousand, Woodcut, 39 x 28 cm, 1496-98.
- The Seven-Headed Beast and the Beast with Lamb's Horns, Woodcut, 39 x 28 cm, from 'The Apocalypse of St. John', 1496-98.
- The New Jerusalem and the Angel with the Key to the Pit, Woodcut, 39 x 28 cm, 1496-98.
- St. John Swallowing the little Book Presented by the Angel, Woodcut, 39 x 28 cm, 1496-98
- St. Michael Fighting the Dragon, woodcut
William Blake (1757-1827). English poet, painter, engraver; one of the earliest and greatest figures of Romanticism. The Great Red Dragon Paintings are a series of watercolors he painted 1805-10, when he was commissioned to create over 100 paints to illustrate books of the Bible.
The Ancient of Days (1794) Relief etching with watercolor, 23.3 x 16.8 cm; British Museum, London.
The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed with the Sun, 'the Devil is come down', 1805-1810, watercolor, National Gallery of Art at Washington D.C.
The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed with the Sun,
Pen and watercolour, 435 x 345 mm,
- The Four and Twenty Elders Casting their Crowns before the Divine Throne, Pen and watercolour, 354 x 293 mm, c. 1803-5, London, Tate Gallery, National Gallery of British Art
- The Resurrection. Watercolour over pencil on paper, 8.07 x 8.27 inches / 20.5 x 21 cm, Private collection.
The Angel of the Revelation, ca.1803–5, brush and gray wash, pen and black ink over graphite on paper; 15 7/16 x 10 1/4 in. (39.2 x 26 cm). Feet on sea and land.
Christian Beaten Down by Apollyon, from Bunyan
- The Number of the Beast is 666, Pen and watercolour, 412 x 335 mm, c. 1805, Philadelphia, Rosenbach Museum and Library
- The Great Red Dragon and the Beast from the Sea, Pen and watercolour, 401 x 356 mm, c. 1805. Washington, DC, National Gallery of Art
- The Whore of Babylon, Pen and watercolour over pencil, 266 x 223 mm, 1809, London, British Museum
- The Vision of the Last Judgement (1808), Pen and watercolour, 510 x 395 mm, Petworth House, Sussex, National Trust
- The River of Life, Pen and watercolour, 305 x 336 mm, c. 1805, London, Tate Gallery, National Gallery of British Art
- The Casting of the Rebel Angels into Hell
The Last Judgment, Middle part of a triptychon, presumably
created for Phillipe le beau. The left and right pieces show
paradise and hell.
- Last Judgment, 1432-35, Tempera on wood, 105 x 210 cm (full painting), Museo di San Marco, Florence
- Hell (detail), 1432-35
- The Last Judgment, Fresco on the western wall of the Sixtine Chapel, shows trumpets
The Angel with the Book, Lithograph, 270 x 375 mm, 1837,
Collection of Michael J. Campbell.
- The Last Judgment (c. 1850-1853), Oil on canvas, London, Tate Gallery
William Holman Hunt (1827-1910)
Light of the World (1851-53) Rev 3:20
I Stand at the Door (Rev 3:20)
Jacobello Alberegno (Italian painter, Venetian school, d. 1397)
Vision of Saint John the Evangelist on Patmos (1360-90), tempra on panel, 95 x 61 cm, Galleria dell' Accademia, Venice.
The Harvest of the World (1360-90), Tempera on panel, 45 x 33 cm, Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice
Bruegel, Pieter the Elder (about 1525-69)
The Harvesters, 1565, Oil on wood, 118.1 x 160.7 cm (46 1/2 x 63 1/4 in); Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Not designed for Revelation, but illustrates the harvest of the earth (14:14-20)
Edward Coly Burne-Jones (1833- 1893)
- The Last Judgement, 1874 (coloured 1880), Wax crayon, Taken from 'Edward Burne-Jones, Victorian Artist-Dreamer', Catalogue by the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Last Judgment (1896). West Window, St. Philip's Cathedral, Birmingham, UK.
- Last Judgment (1876), manufactured by William Morris, Easthamstead Church, UK.
- The Harvest at the End of the World and the Reapers are Angels, 1984. Oil on canvas 25 x 32 inches.
- Satan Bound, Oil on canvas 213 x 183 cm (84 x 72 in)
- King Jesus tramping out the grapes
- Winepress of God's Wrath. MS#644, fol.178, Morgan Beatus, 10th century, manuscript illumination, Piermont Morgan Library, New York City
- Two Witnesses, San Andrés de Arroyo Monastery Codex, f. 105r
- Two Witnesses, Gerona Beatus, Gerona Cathedral
Last Trumpet, Last Judgment
Pat Marvenko Smith, developer of the video "Revelation Illustrated," is contemporary artist who has developed 35 prints illustrating Revelation.
John Steczynski, Professor, Boston College, APOCALYPSE: Meditations on the Visions of John, drawings.
Moments in Bible Prophecy, Revelation Study Guide. All 22 chapters are illustrated from various sources.
Devi Anne Moore, Revelation Art, by TAV-Art.
Bamberg Apocalypse, about 1020, Bamberg, Staatsbibliothek. Many medieval manuscript illustrations depicting scenes from Revelation.
Professor Felix Just, S.J, Loyala Marymount University
The Cloisters Apocalypse, An Early Fourteenth-Century Illustrated Manuscript
Lee Stoneking. Many images including
Worldwide Church of God (illustrations to articles)
Book of Revelation Verse by Verse Audio Study, David Griffin. Collection of grapics.
Bedford Studio, Revelation: the Magnificant Conclusion. Dale Bedford, contemporary artist.
Christian Artwork by Duncan Long, includes pictures of Revelation, judgment, and "secret rapture".
The H'Art of the Revelation of Jesus Christ, 49 artworks by Devi Anne Moore.
Book of Revelation by Ulrike. Contains diagram of tabernacle, plus 7 seals on scroll.
Medieval illuminated manuscripts of several Revelation scenes
Digital Art by Ted Larson. A series of Revelation images.
Lake of Fire, very vivid!
Tree of Life, beautiful
4 Living Creatures around the Throne
The Four Living Creatures around the Heavenly Throne, very old plates from Nancy Grubb's Revelations: Art of the Apocalypse (New York/London/Paris: Abbeville Publishers, 1997).
Apocalypse Tapestries. Nicholas Bataille, weaving; Hennequin de Bruges, painting. It is 140 meters long. Chateau Angers. New Jerusalem image.
The Yoru-Shalem Heavenly Temple Show, a series of paintings illustrating the Quest for the Heavenly Jerusalem and its promise of a better world. by Artist Hannah Omer and Cyber-Architect Yitzhak Hayut-Man.
Tree of Life
- Tree of Life by Suzanne Deveuve
Christian Art and Paintings:
Abraham Art | Agnus Dei Art | Angel Art | Annunciation Art |
Celtic Stone Cross Art |
Christian Symbols and Art |
Christmas Art |
Easter Art |
Passion of Christ
by Tissot |
Hebrew-Jewish Art | Holy Week Art | Jacob | Jesus' Ministry Art | Jesus' Teaching Art |
Jesus Portraits and Art | John the Baptist
| John the Apostle
| Lamb of God Art | Last Supper Art | Madonna & Child Art |
Moses and the
Exodus | Names of God Art | OT Misc Art | Psalms Art | Palm Sunday Art | Paul Art and Paintings | Day of Pentecost Art | Peter Art and Paintings |
Prayer Art | Resurrection Art | Revelation Art |
Thanksgiving and Pilgrims Art |
Timothy Art and Paintings
Copyright of artwork. Much, but not all, of the artwork linked to on this site is in the public domain worldwide due to the date of death of its author (if it is was published outside of the U.S. and the author has been dead for over 70 years), or due to its date of publication (if it was first made public in the U.S. before 1923), at least in the United States (see Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.), in Germany, and in many other countries.
Copyright © 1985-2015, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ