Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Good Shepherd as an Early Christian Symbol
In the earliest Christian art, there are no depictions of Jesus, except symbolically, as the Good Shepherd and others. The Good Shepherd as an image of Jesus persisted until about 500 AD.
Inscriptions with Good Shepherd
Inscription dedicated by parents of deceased 7 year old girl, Apuleia Crysopolis; Good Shepherd and bush (Catacomb of St. Callisto, Rome). Another.
- Gravestone for Mouses and his wife (Rome, 3rd century A.D.), Pio Cristiano Museum, Vatican. Shows Orante and Good shepherd, with a sheep at his feet.
- Good Shepherd inscription
- Good shepherd on tombstone in the catacomb of Domitilla
- Rilievo del buon pastore, third century, Catacomb of Pretestato, Rome.
- Good shepherd, Chi-Rho, swastika, anchor, fish, and ichthus from Catacombs of St. Sebastian, Rome
Christ as the Good Shepherd is found as a fresco in the Crypts of Lucina, ceiling of the Cubiculum of the Good Shepherd, catacomb of Callixtus in Rome (mid-third century).
Frescos of the Good Shepherd
- Catacomb fresco of Christ as the Good Shepherd
- Good Shepherd, fresco, third century, Catacombs of Priscilla, Cubiculum of the "Velatio"
- Fresco of Good Shepherd, Coemeterium Majus catacomb, Rome
- Good Shepherd (Buon Pastore) with two sheep in paradise, fresco Catacomb of Priscilla, third century. Another. Another. Another.
- A Good Shepherd wall painting decorates the room of a private house in Dura-Europos (modern Salhiyeh), Syria, adapted for the use of a Christian congregation. It would hold about 100 people, with a small platform for the bishop and a baptistry. (Moved in the 1930s to the Yale University Museum.). Another. Another. Cutaway plan.
Detail of the central shepherd from the Sarcophagus of the Good Shepherd, Catacomb of Praetextatus, Rome, 390s AD. Full sarcophagus.
Good Shepherd Sarcophagi
- Good Shepherd Sarcophagus, from the Catacomb of Praetextatus, Rome, 390s AD, marble. Lateran museum (later moved to Pio Cristiano Museo). Lots of grapes and vines. Detail, detail, BW, BW Detail shows angels harvesting grapes from the vine emanating from Christ.
- Good shepherd sarcophagus, Vatican #181, c.250-275, Rome. Another.
- Sarcofago con il Buon Pastore, in marmo pario, 260-270 d.c., da Via Salaria, Roma, Musei Naz. Romano
- Sarcophagus with the Good Shepherd and the Apostles, Pio Cristiano Museum, Vatican.
- Sarcophagus of the Good Shepherd, 310 to 315 AD, Solin, a Salonitan workship, dressed marbal.
- Shepherds at ends of sarcophagus, Brooks Museum
- Good Shepherd and Four Seasons, early fourth century.
Several depictions of Christ as the Good Shepherd.
Statue of the Good Shepherd (third century), 39" high, marble, from the Catacomb of Domitilla, now in Museo Pio Cristino, Vatican.
Mosaic of the Good Shepherd
Statue of the Good Shepherd
- Statue of the Good Shepherd, Third century, marble, 39"H., Rome, from Catacomb of Domitilla, Vatican, Museo Pio Cristiano. Another. Another. Another. Another.
- Christ as Good Shepherd, 3rd century, Cleveland Museum of Art
Storia Libera.it, press "continue to see more.
Copyright © 1985-2014, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ