1 & 2 Thessalonians
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians)
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Sermon on the Mount
Year of St. Paul
Orante (Orans) as Early Christian Symbol
Orante della catacomba di via Anapo a Roma
Person in prayer (orantes) and a dove with an olive branch in its mouth.
The Orante is a figure with open arms, a symbol of the soul at peace in paradise, a representation of the soul in the other world as a figure (orante) with arms extended in prayer.
Orante figure from the Catacomb of Priscilla, Cubicle of the Velata, Rome (second half of the third century).This pose of arms lifted in prayer is found in thousands of figures in the catacombs, representing a soul at peace in paradise.
- Three paintings of orante from catacombs
- Orante fragment, Il museo di St. Eustorgio
- Fresco of Orante, Italy
- Gravestone for Mouses and his wife (Rome, 3rd century A.D.), Pio Cristiano Museum, Vatican. Shows Orante and Good shepherd.
- Lastra con epitaffio di Bessula. Sec.V. Musei Vaticani, Museo Pio Cristiano. Cittą del Vaticano.
- Sezione archeologica. Epigrafe con figura di donna orante, Museo Civico, Biassono.
- Rara figura di "orante" incisa sulla muratura di un "mayen" a Torgnon
Copyright © 1985-2013, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
Other Bible Study Books
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ