The Glorious Kingdom
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Sermon on the Mount
Introduction to the Lamb of God Internet Bible Studyby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Part of JesusWalk -- Behold the Lamb of God
You'll receive your first e-mail lesson in the "Behold, the Lamb of God" Bible Study on a Saturday. Here's the outline of what we'll be covering over the next five weeks.
Behold, The Lamb of God (John 1:29; Leviticus 4:32-35). A basic
introduction to the Hebrew concept of sacrifice for the forgiveness of
sin. Application: learning God's loving way of forgiving our sins.
The Lamb Who Takes Our Place (Isaiah 53). We ponder the Suffering
Servant who bears our sin in himself as well as the punishment due to us
for sin. Here we examine the concept of substitutionary atonement.
Application: learning the costly mercy of giving our lives on behalf of
The Lamb Who Redeems Us from Slavery (1 Peter 1:18-19; Mark 10:44-45; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20). We examine the concepts of ransom and redemption to set free those who are enslaved. Application: learning what Christian freedom is all about and how we can experience it today.
The Passover Lamb of Whom We Partake (1 Corinthians 5:7; Exodus 12:3-14; Matthew 26:26-30). We'll examine the Passover, the Passover lamb, and the Last Supper, in order to appreciate what we do when we partake of communion. Application: learning to seek and appreciate God's protection and care for us.
The Triumphant Lamb We Worship (Revelation 5:1-14). In the Book of Revelation we explore concepts of worshipping and loving the Lamb, who is now clearly the risen and reigning Christ. Application: learning to love and worship Jesus day by day.
There is no charge for this study, though participants are invited to make a free-will contribution to help support future studies. Currently contributions can be made by check or credit card (or with your credit card through PayPal in US and Canadian dollars, British pounds, Euros, and Japanese Yen). http://www.joyfulheart.com/joyadmin/offering.htm
Introduction to Internet Bible Study
Here's how this Bible study will work. Each Saturday for the next five weeks you'll receive the lesson with questions to help you grapple with the issues raised by the text. I encourage you each Saturday to
- Pray, then
- Read the Bible passage, then
- Read my exposition of the passage. Finally,
- Consider the questions at the end of the lesson.
I'm trying to immerse you in this passage over the period of the week. I want you to live, breath, think and dream these lessons. To help you do that, each day -- Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, you'll receive a question or two to ponder and then answer. (Note: You can opt out of receiving the daily questions by signing up again and then selecting the "weekly lessons only" option, but when you do that you'll begin again and receive your first lesson a week from next Saturday. So I encourage you to stay with the daily lessons. You can see which group you're in by looking at the very bottom of this e-mail message.)
After you've formulated your answer, why don't you post it on our Joyful Heart Bible Study Forum. Your thoughts will stimulate others' thinking. Then read what others may have said about this question. In the process you'll be internalizing the Bible truths the lesson teaches. If you'll stick with this over the period of five weeks, you'll find that your thinking is clarified and your commitment to live as Jesus' disciple will be deepened.
Here are a few guidelines for use of the Forum. You need to register at the Forum before you can participate, so be sure to do that. Remember ...
- Our Assumptions. We're assuming here that the Bible is more than just literature, but literature that is written by people inspired by God. That doesn't mean that it's easy to understand immediately or that we'll all agree about our interpretations. That's okay. We here to learn and differences can help us learn and clarify issues.
- No Denomination Bashing. This study group practices the unity of Christ's Church. We come from many different backgrounds and traditions -- Catholic, Orthodox, Reformed, Mainline Protestant, Pentecostal, Baptist, you name it. Some may not yet have become Christians. Thus we do not engage in criticizing other denominations. Our focus and unity is in Jesus Christ and the Word of God.
- A Loving Spirit. You may not agree with everyone's opinion you see on the Forum. Feel free to disagree in love and state your reasons. This way we can learn from each other. But if your motive is to set everyone straight, please don't bother. Judgmental comments are not welcome, and posters who don't demonstrate a loving spirit will be banned.
- Removing Comments. We trim comments on the Forum occasionally, so don't be offended if your comments aren't "eternal." :-)
- Stay On Topic. It's important not to wander off-topic in this Forum. If your comment isn't on the topic of the Bible text we're studying, please "hold that thought." This isn't a "Christian chat" but a focused Bible study.
- Be Discrete. Share carefully, realizing that many other people will be reading. Don't share things that are too personal. Though you'll give your e-mail to register as a Forum member, it won't be visible to others. Please don't share your e-mail address openly in your Forum postings, since that will get you picked up by spambots and added to a spam list. But if you'd like to e-mail another Forum member you can do that going through the Forum itself.
You'll find people from all over the world. When I counted on March 4, 2003, there were just under 2,000 participants from 68 countries, including: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Central African Republic, Chile, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ethiopia, Fiji, Germany, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea, Republic of, Kuwait, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Virgin Islands (U.S.), Zambia, and Zimbabwe. What a wonderful cross-section of God's world!
How to Use the Forum
If you're wondering just how to use the forum, look at the instructions. Studying these instructions carefully will pay off in learning how to use the Forum. It's not hard, but a bit confusing at first. Be sure to read the instructions if you have question. http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm
Lessons and Questions Posted Online
In case you miss a lesson or question, please don't e-mail me. Rather, you'll find each weekly lesson and all its questions posted at http://www.jesuswalk.com/lamb/lamb.htm You may see the lessons there for future weeks, but please don't rush ahead. This is a process not a destination. Take this at the pace of one lesson per week, with questions spread out during the week so the Word of God has a chance to sink into your heart and mind. Thank you.
I look forward to doing this Bible study with you. You should receive the first lesson via e-mail tomorrow..
A great 5-week Bible study for the Lent or Easter season, Lamb of God, is available as a paperback, e-book, and/or DVD for small group teaching and discussion.
My prayer is that your life will be greatly enriched as we study the Word of God together.
Yours in Christ's service,
P.S. When the study is over, I'll ask you to fill out a brief questionnaire to evaluate your experience with the Lamb of God study. Thanks in advance for doing that.
Copyright © 1985-2017, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- The Glorious Kingdom
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ