Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134
Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
Conquering Lamb of Revelation
David, Life of
Glorious Kingdom, The
Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Listening for God's Voice
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
Sermon on the Mount
Listening for God's Voice
A Disciple's Guide to a Closer Walk
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
God can get anyone's attention by shouting. For example, on the road to Damascus, a loud voice and a bright light turned his arch enemy into a disciple. But most of the time, God prefers to speak in a softer voice, one that we can miss if we're not listening carefully.
This study is designed to provide both scriptural underpinnings and practical help to assist disciples in listening for God's voice, which is usually experienced as a strong impression in a believer's mind and spirit. The goal is to help you become aware both of words he might speak to you, as well as his promptings or nudges.
The author begins by exploring how Jesus listened to the Father and becomes an example in this for his disciples. Elijah's "still small voice" is the spring board to examine God's voice in words and sentences. Next, incidents in the Book of Acts are analyzed to understand how God often leads in promptings and the simple word, "No." Samuel's words, "Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening," provide a glimpse into the heart preparation necessary to respond appropriately to God's voice. Finally, we examine how Gideon's fleece served to confirm God's leadings, as we seek to discern his voice from the competing voices of the world, the flesh, and the devil -- as well as one's own conscience.
Since developing such a sensitivity to God's voice is a learned skill or art, not mastery of some body of content, this study provides practical assignments designed to help move you a place where you actually hear and respond to God's voice. Necessary elements of this practical approach include establishing a daily Quiet Time, securing a notebook, finding a mentor (if possible), and working with a spiritual partner, with whom you can interact as you begin to learn what God's voice and whisperings sound like.
Each of the five lessons contains a major scripture passage to study plus related verses, four or five discussion questions, a summary of lessons for disciples, and a practical assignment. Initially developed as an online study, this book is ideal for personal spiritual development, use by a teacher or small group leader, and for sermon development.
Here is an abbreviated table of contents for the book:
Listening for God's Voice (107 pages)
Participant Lesson Handouts (PDF, you may reprint free for each class member)
A number of people have been blessed by this study already:
- "Now experiencing God in a new way." -- Charmaine Mendez, Jamaican Pentecostal
- "My wow moment was when I realized that He speaks to me, but this time I knew His voice!" -- Miekie Lombard, South African Pentecostal
- "Amazing gift of academic and intellectual stimulation together with spiritual insight and up-to-date practical application." -- Wesley Loane, Methodist pastor, United Kingdom
- "Changed my life as I understood why Jesus went to a solitary place.... I give this study 5 stars out of 5!" -- Gerry Willerton, Vineyard Christian Fellowship, Canada
- To see more click here.
This study is available in book format (below) or at no cost
delivered via e-mail over a five-week period.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Apostle Paul
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ