Beginning the Journey (for new Christians).
1, 2, and 3 John
1 & 2 Thessalonians
1 & 2 Timothy
2 Peter, Jude
7 Last Words of Christ
Christ Powered Life (Rom 5-8)
David, Life of
Jesus and the Kingdom
Lamb of God
Names of God
Names of Jesus
Sermon on the Mount
1 and Thessalonians
Book format studies on Paul's earliest letters -- and fullest teaching on eschatology.
The new church at Thessalonica is under fierce attack. Opposing Jewish leaders have caused a riot and driven the church-planting team out of town. But amazingly, against all odds, the new congregation begins to grow and attract converts from the pagan population of the city. What's more, it becomes a model congregation among the fledging Christian movement in the Mediterranean region.
1 and 2 Thessalonians, written about 50 AD, are the earliest documents in the New Testament. They reveal the Apostle Paul's heart and passion as he seeks to guide this congregation towards health and balance. In 1 and 2 Thessalonians you'll learn important truths about Christ's coming -- specifically regarding the rapture and the Antichrist. In fact, these letters are Paul's most detailed account of Christ's return. In addition, Paul explains: how to deal with overly-dependent members, God's grace in selecting his children, the heart and character of a disciple-maker, a high view of sexual purity, and keys to a healthy Christian congregation.
This volume covers the two letters in nine lessons. Classes and small groups will find this a helpful curriculum guide to their study 1 and 2 Thessalonians with links to free participant handouts, as well as thorough preparation for the leader. Thought-provoking questions will stimulate many insightful discussions. These heavily-footnoted lessons provide most of the research that preachers and teachers will need. At the same time, these lessons will inspire and challenge the individual reader to grow as a disciple.
Table of Contents of this 148-page book
- Introduction to 1 and 2 Thessalonians
- The Secret of Bountiful Believers (1 Thessalonians 1:1-10; Acts 17:1-10)
- The Character of a Disciple-Maker (2:1-16)
- The Warm Heart of a Disciple-maker (2:17-3:13)
- The Command and Blessing of Holy Sex (4:1-12)
- The Wonder and Warning of Christ's Return (4:13-5:11)
- Keys to a Healthy Christian Community (5:12-28)
- Awesome Judgment at Christ's Coming (2 Thessalonians 1:1-12)
- The Coming Antichrist (2:1-3:5)
- Warning against Idleness (3:6-18)
- Appendix 1. Can Heathen Who Have Never Heard the Gospel Be Saved?
- Appendix 2. How Can There Be a Hell Like the Bible Describes?
The book is available in both paperback and e-book
Copyright © 1985-2016, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ